Re: C3600 Workstation Support For SSD (314 Views)
Occasional Advisor
jakolodziej
Message 1 of 3 (335 Views)

C3600 Workstation Support For SSD

HP Gurus:

I have been asked to get answers to two questions, and I have some of my own. My questions all pertain to the C3600 HP Visualize workstation running HP-UX 10.20. My questions are immediately below, and then I have included some information to give a context for the questions.

First, the questions:

1). Can I connect a solid state disk drive to the C3600 ws?

2). Is the System Unit for the C3600 ws rack-mountable?

3). Can I run High Availability (ServiceGuard) on the C3600 ws?

4). Can I cluster C3600 workstations together?

Now, for some context:

We currently have nine (9) HP9000 K-Servers (three K570s with a RAID array Clustered in our Test environment, three K370s with RAID Clustered in our Customer Test environment, and three K380s with RAID Clustered in our Production environment) running HP-UX 10.20. The Servers run ServiceGuard, and we have our Application packages distributed across the clustered servers. C3600 workstations (also running HP-UX 10.20) serve as Clients to the K-Servers. My boss presented a proposal to Management to migrate the K-Servers to six (6) Integrity Servers (rx2800) running HP-UX11iv3 with EVA using ARIES and HP9000 Containers. The proposal was rejected due to budgetary constraints. We do, however, have several spare C3600 workstations not being used. The thought is to attempt to use the C3600 as a substitute for the K-Servers to provide a cheap(er) migration. That brings up question #1 - with the cheap price of disks today (our current RAID array is less than 100GB total), could we plug in a couple of solid state disks to serve as our "RAID" array? We also do backups (Omniback to tape), and we could use an additional two or three solid state disks for Backups (only one would be plugged in at a time, and when it's full we would just swap it out for an "empty" one). Our current C3600 workstations are "rack-mounted," but what that really means is we have some shelves on a rack, with the C3600 ws System Unit placed on the shelf. So that's question #2 - is there a "real" rack-mount kit for a C3600 ws? We currently, if truth be told, do not really run a real-time system. We could easily get by without ServiceGuard IMHO, but we currently do have it. If we substitute a C3600 for a K-Server with our current environment, the environment would have to run ServiceGuard. So that's question #3, can we run HA-OE on a C3600? Question #4 is tied to #3, if we substitute C3600 workstations for K-Servers, it would have to run in a clustered fashion - can we do that???

Any other gotcha's that I should worry about???

Thanks for the help/advice.

Regards,

Jeff Kolodziej

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 2 of 3 (324 Views)

Re: C3600 Workstation Support For SSD

[ Edited ]

The biggest issue is that 10.20 isn't supported so I'm not sure where you are going to get that software.

Why not run a supported 11.11?

>1) Can I connect a solid state disk drive to the C3600 ws?

I'm not sure if it would even recognize it or if there is a driver for it?

>2)  Is the System Unit for the C3600 ws rack-mountable?

I wouldn't think so, it's not a server.  And mine is vertical.

>3)  Can I run High Availability (ServiceGuard) on the C3600 ws?

I'm not sure but it isn't a server and where will you get the software and licenses?

>4) Can I cluster C3600 workstations together?

Again, these aren't servers.  Will you have enough I/O bandwidth?

>The thought is to attempt to use the C3600 as a substitute for the K-Servers to provide a cheap(er) migration.

How is this cheaper and a migration?  Is a C3600 faster?

I probably should have asked how much memory in your workstations vs your servers?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
jakolodziej
Message 3 of 3 (314 Views)

Re: C3600 Workstation Support For SSD

Dear Mr. Handly:

Thanks for the quick reply and the answers to my questions (I have assigned kudos). I have taken your feedback as additional input to discussions I am having with my boss on how to proceed. I am not sure where our discussions will take us, but I may have additional follow-up questions in the future. For now, thanx again for the quick reply and the advice.

Regards,

Jeff Kolodziej

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation