Boot B180L from Serial connection (77 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Mike Kissinger
Message 1 of 5 (77 Views)

Boot B180L from Serial connection

I having trouble booting my workstation from a serial connection using hyper-terminal on my PC. I have a null modem cable between the com port 1 on both machines. When I boot the B180l nothing happens in Hyper terminal. I do not have a monitor connected to the workstation currently. I was hoping i could use the PC to set up the workstation first and the monitor later. Can this be done with out having a monitor hooked to the workstation.
"Just do it"
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Leif Halvarsson_2
Message 2 of 5 (77 Views)

Re: Boot B180L from Serial connection

Hi

The serial port is not configured as console by default. You have to connect the monitor and keyboard before you can change this (in the Boot setup screen).
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Eugeny Brychkov
Message 3 of 5 (77 Views)

To use serial console you have to disconnect these ALL (!) Leif mentioned - monitor, keyboard and mouse
Eugeny
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Mike Kissinger
Message 4 of 5 (77 Views)

Thanks for your help. Just so I understand, I must attach the Monitor, Keyboard and mouse, then change the boot to Serial port 1. The remove the Monitor, Keyboard and mouse when I restart with the null modem cable attached. What is the proceedure in the Boot options to change to Serial boot?
"Just do it"
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Tom Ward_1
Message 5 of 5 (77 Views)

To use the serial port as console unplug the monitor, keyboard and mouse. The workstation will default to the serial port for console. Use a null modem cable and I suggest you use something other than Hyper Terminal.
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xc2caa848deccd61190050090279cd0f9,00.html

Tom
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation