Backup for disaster Recovery (606 Views)
Advisor
Peter Jahn
Message 1 of 13 (606 Views)
Accepted Solution

Backup for disaster Recovery

I am using a c8000 Workstation in my Home office. HP-UX 11i v1 IS installed. Ignite-UX IS installed. I'm looking for an easy scenario to create a complete backup including the os, installed software and configuration. BUT:
- no second hp-ux system
- only windows servers and shares mounted via cifs
- no DVD burner in the c8000
- no Tape drive

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Honored Contributor
Zygmunt Krawczyk
Message 2 of 13 (606 Views)

Re: Backup for disaster Recovery

You can install and configure HP CIFS Client

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=B8724AA

and make backup using tar, cpio or fbackup.
But you will not be able to boot from this backup to restore system like from Ignite-UX backup. To restore system you will need CD or DVD media to install HP-UX and then restore from CIFS server.

Honored Contributor
Robert_Jewell
Message 3 of 13 (606 Views)

[ Edited ]

A couple of options I can think of, but not sure they will work for you as all involves going beyond your current configuration...

1) Install MirrorDisk/UX and another disk. Mirroring your boot disk will do what you seek. However, MirrorDisk is a licensed product ($$). More info: https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=B2491BA

2) Reference the following post for information on creating a duplicate boot disk. You will still need another disk drive, but this method does not require a licensed product.
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/System-Administration/Create-and-sync-alternate-boot-disk-without-mirro...

3) If you can, update to HP-UX 11.23 (11iv2). There is a product called Dynamic Root Disk (DRD) which does the above in a much more efficient manner is is easily managed.

-Bob

Honored Contributor
Emil Velez
Message 4 of 13 (606 Views)

Install the OS with VXVM and mirror the boot disk and pull one of the disks.

VXVM allows you to mirror the boot disk without a additional license.
Advisor
Peter Jahn
Message 5 of 13 (606 Views)

Zygmunt Krawczyk's solution seems to be the most suitable without additional costs. CIFS client is already configured and I just do not want to buy an additional disk.
Advisor
Peter Jahn
Message 6 of 13 (606 Views)

If I buy a DVD-burner for the c8000 is it then possible to create a backup from which I can recover? Is it possible to span a backup image over several DVD's with ignite-UX? E.g with /opt/ignite/data/scripts/make_sys_image
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 7 of 13 (606 Views)

>Is it possible to span a backup image over several DVDs with ignite-UX?

You just want to store off the system with ignite, not all of your data. Hopefully that will fix on just one.
Honored Contributor
V. Nyga
Message 8 of 13 (606 Views)

Hi,

you also can buy a (best option: identical size and type, else a bigger one) disk and copy all with dd-command. A bigger disk will loose its additional space.
This will copy any bit one by one.
Then store it at a save place.

HTH
V.
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Advisor
Peter Jahn
Message 9 of 13 (606 Views)

Since the c8000 also supports IDE-disks this would be a real cheap solution. Thanks for your hint with dd.
Honored Contributor
V. Nyga
Message 10 of 13 (606 Views)

Please test the ide after dd - really everything is copied 1:1, all disk informations, driver, settings.
Also the c8000 boots from ide-dvd-drive I don't know how it will handle a ide root disk.
Of course it can work, but I haven't tested it.

V.
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Advisor
Peter Jahn
Message 11 of 13 (606 Views)

I'll test and report this. Thanks.
Advisor
Peter Jahn
Message 12 of 13 (606 Views)

Works with ide harddrive and dd like a charm. Booting from ide works too. THANKS!
Advisor
Peter Jahn
Message 13 of 13 (606 Views)

^^
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.