Re: B1000 system clock failure (176 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Ulrich Deiters
Message 1 of 8 (176 Views)
Accepted Solution

B1000 system clock failure

[ Edited ]

The system clock on my B1000 systems stops when the machine is off. This usually means an empty battery. But where is it? My manuals do not mention its location.

Moved from Archived Desktops and Workstations Boards>general to Workstations - Itanium-Based, hp9000, Visualize

Honored Contributor
V. Nyga
Message 2 of 8 (176 Views)

Re: B1000 system clock failure

Hi Ulrich,

you can find the infos in the 'Service Handbook' page 150.
The handbook you can find here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpv37739/lpv37739.pdf

General infos you also can find here:
http://www.openpa.net/systems/

HTH
Volkmar
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Frequent Advisor
Ulrich Deiters
Message 3 of 8 (176 Views)

Thank you, that was the information I needed! I find it annoying, however, that a) such information is not contained in the Owner's Manual, b) the link to the Support Manual did not show up when I used the HP search engine, and c) that I have to order a replacement part from HP instead of simply buying a new battery in the nearest supermarket
Honored Contributor
Omar Senussi
Message 4 of 8 (176 Views)

Ulrich,
There is absolutely nothing sourcing your battery from wherever you like.. provide it is the right kind!
You just have to be careful to ground yourself properly when working around the systenm board, to avoid static damage!
If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs... You haven't understood the situation!
Honored Contributor
Omar Senussi
Message 5 of 8 (176 Views)

OOPS.. fat fingers!.. that should have said .. nothing stopping you sourcing your battery..
If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs... You haven't understood the situation!
Frequent Advisor
Ulrich Deiters
Message 6 of 8 (176 Views)

Dear Omar,

I opened my machine and located the clock, following the manual. It is located in a place that you can only reach if you have unusually long, slender fingers (like E.T.). When you pull out the clock chip, you are almost bound to bend the pins, and when you reinsert it, you are likely to break at least one. The clock chip has no replaceable battery; it is a rather specialized thing that you cannot buy at standard computer shops.

To cap things off: The B1000, if switched off, has an idle power consumption of 11 W, probably for keeping the LAN card hot for the power-on-LAN function (something that I do not use, which probably in snot even supported with this machine, but which I cannot disable). Of these wasted 11 W nothing is used for the system clock!

If there is ever a award for incompetent motherboard design, HP should win it for the B1000/C3000!
Honored Contributor
Omar Senussi
Message 7 of 8 (176 Views)

Hi Ulrich,
I know the sort, were used quite extensively some years ago.. Dallas chip I believe. I have replaced them before, and they are not as delicate as you might think!.. Sure, you have to prise it out , preferably with a chip extractor tool, which you can get.. or if you can gain access around the base, use a thin bladed screw driver. Replacement likewise, needs you to make sure the pins are dead straight on the holes.. use a torch to help you... and gently push it in slightly from on e end then straighten it by pushing on the other end etc, until it is fully in... So don't lose heart!
Good luck.

a couple of possibly relevant sites ..

http://www.maxim-ic.com/

http://www.pimpworks.org/sgi/dallas.html
Frequent Advisor
Ulrich Deiters
Message 8 of 8 (176 Views)

Dallas chip is correct! Thank you for the links; I will try to obtain a replacement.

Regards,

Ulrich
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.