Re: ram upgrade issue with pavilion (34 Views)
Occasional Visitor
jillr
Message 1 of 3 (34 Views)

ram upgrade issue with pavilion

Hi, I purchased a 1GB ddr ram chip. Before purchasing the salesman looked up my pc model t820a and sold me the appropriate chip. he also said memory chips were not returnable.

The pc didn't recognize the extra ram, so i removed the two origional ones and installed the 1GB on its own, but all I get is three beeps. I'm suspecting the chip is faulty..or am I doing something wrong..I updated the bios
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Greg Gruchacz
Message 2 of 3 (34 Views)

Re: ram upgrade issue with pavilion

Jillr:

The model that you have requires PC3200 memory. Is this the speed that was provided? If not, you may need to return it because it may be faulty. Three beeps usually indicates bad or missing memory, and most memory manufacturers offer lifetime warranties on their products. If the store where you purchased this memory won't trade it or replace it, I would find another store with which to do business.

Greg
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
jillr
Message 3 of 3 (34 Views)

Re: ram upgrade issue with pavilion

Thank you for your reply. I just took the computer and the chip to the store i purchased it from.

They were very good, it was the correct chip, but the 1gig would not work in my computer, even though the specs said the pc could take up to 4 gig and there's only 4 slots. He didn't test the chip to see if it was faulty but changed it for two 500mb chips. picked them up strait away.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation