Re: pavilion power supply fan (24 Views)
Occasional Visitor
melinda bell
Message 1 of 3 (24 Views)

pavilion power supply fan

Should the power supply fan always be on? I bought a Pavilion 700 something for my small home business about 5 months ago. Noticed a few times the computer "shut down" for no apparant reason, didnt really think much about it, just rebooted and it seemed ok. The other day had the tower out to hook up some new speakers and noticed the fan wasn't turning. Spent a few hours trying to instant message with HP support and they act like it is everything from a virus to a software problem. Well I am no "expert" but if the fan dont turn, the power supply is getting hot and shutting down.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Martin P.J. Zinser
Message 2 of 3 (24 Views)

Re: pavilion power supply fan

Hello Melinda,

while I do agree that the common idea would be to have the fan on all the time it is not entirely inconceivable to have a "smart" fan that only starts when some predefined temperature is reached.

Given the fact that you experience this with a Pavillion PC and that the hp OpenVMS Operating System does not support these systems and that this forum is specifically about OpenVMS you might be better off asking your question over in the workstations->Windows based area of this server (i.e. http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/CategoryHome/1,,202,00.html
) since people over there most probably have much more experience with Pavilion PCs.

Greetings, Martin
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Kinner
Message 3 of 3 (24 Views)

Re: pavilion power supply fan

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation