Stuck in standby mode? (21 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Ron_196
Message 1 of 10 (21 Views)

Stuck in standby mode?

Hello,
I have a Pavillion A400N, the power went out yesterday evening and now the computer won't boot up.

The power button just flashes (and the green light on the power supply on back of desktop flashes too). Holding the power button in for 5+ secs does nothing, F1 or F10 when I turn the power back on does nothing. Is there a reset button on the PS, how do I test the PS to see if it's bad?

When the monitor is turned on it says "Warning, PC is entering power saving mode" then goes black.

Thanks,
Ron
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Ron_196
Message 2 of 10 (21 Views)

Re: Stuck in standby mode?

PS is a Bestec ATX 250 12ZD
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Venkatesh_16
Message 3 of 10 (21 Views)

Hi there Ron,

To troubleshoot this issue, I recommend you to try clearing the CMOS:

* Turn off the computer and disconnect the computer from wall socket.
* Open the case of the tower.
* Locate the coin shaped battery.
* Detach the battery from the computer, and reattach battery back to the computer.
* Turn on the computer.

HTH
Venkatesh
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Ron_196
Message 4 of 10 (21 Views)

Hello,
I tried that yesterday. I removed the battery for about 20 mins, replaced it and plugged it back in... same result as before.

I noticed the fans don't come on either. I'm thinking it's the PS?

HP tried to get me into BIOS by pressig F1 on startup, but no luck.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Venkatesh_16
Message 5 of 10 (21 Views)

Ron,

If a power supply is the cause of an operational or system boot issue, use the steps in the following HP Web site to determine if the power supply is defective. Many suspected power supply problems are caused by something other than a power supply failure.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph06788

HTH
Venkatesh
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Ron_196
Message 6 of 10 (21 Views)

Any more ideas? I havn't had the funds to take the computer to a shop.
Could it be the motherboard?

Thanks,
Ron
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Tyler Davenport
Message 7 of 10 (21 Views)

Had the same problem, replace power supply and everthing worked great. If you have recently added any devices, you might want to think about getting a higher wattage power supply to support your devices. Have a gread day. Tyler A+ Certified Technician, MCP
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
nettech
Message 8 of 10 (21 Views)

I know exactly what you are describing. The motherboard is stuck in suspended mode. This is a bear to fix. I was actually able to fix this myself by resetting the bios, and clearing the CMOS. Unfortuantely I was unable to resolve the matter myself the second time this happend and was forced to send my HP back to HP for further repair. I will be getting the pc back tomorrow so hopefully all is well.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Ron_196
Message 9 of 10 (21 Views)

Wow, I forgot about this thread. Thanks for the replies.

I was able to fix this problem by changing the Power Supply. I ordered the power supply from HP and the computer has been running great ever since.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
tom cez
Message 10 of 10 (21 Views)

have a Gateway 700xl Jan2002 that I replaced the replacement Antec Smart Power 2 500w ($35 Staples sale) very loud high pitch noise PSU w/ a AeroCool ZeroDBa 620W unit ($95 CompUsa going out of business sale), and the system would only show a yellow power light on the front button (motherboard showed 5V green light) and no fans or harddrive would start...like Standby. Thanks to this thread and another, I tried the bios battery removal trick and the system came back to life. Darn, I was going to tell my wife that I needed a new Xeon Quad system with a 30" monitor.

I noted that someone found some power supply statistics in a forum at Tom's hardware that even the best power supplies seem to have a failure rate of 1/100 and Antec had up to a 9% failure rate...that is terrible. My HP a430n power supply also died, an Astec? 250W unit that I replaced with a 500W Coolermaster which has too noisy of a fan compared to the new Aerocool zerodba unit.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation