Re: Pavillion 6745C with Win2k -- NIC driver (69 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Jeff Cagle_1
Message 1 of 5 (69 Views)

Pavillion 6745C with Win2k -- NIC driver

One of the teachers at my school has a Pavillion 6745C. We are joining the computers to a domain this year, so I installed Win2k professional on the machine.

Apparently, I lept before I looked, because I cannot find a driver for her factory-installed NIC anywhere. The best I can find on the HP site is a page which informs me that Win2k is a possible, but not optimal, OS for the Pavillion, so good luck.

Suggestions? Would it be better to find the right driver, or to try to scrounge a WinXP license from the computer lab?

Thanks,
Jeff Cagle
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
WMihalik
Message 2 of 5 (69 Views)

Re: Pavillion 6745C with Win2k -- NIC driver

This isn't a guarantee, but try a RealTek driver for it. I've found that in a pinch, they can actually work, although sometimes they do get a little dodgy.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Kinner
Message 3 of 5 (69 Views)

I can't tell from the documentation on the HP site - is the NIC a separate card or is it builtin to the mobo? Do you know who makes the NIC or the chip numbers involved?

It would be better to try and find the correct driver or if that can't be done simply stick in a new NIC. They are really cheap these days.

Ron
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jeff Cagle_1
Message 4 of 5 (69 Views)

Yeah, the "install a new card" option is looking pretty good. The current card is built into the motherboard (otherwise, I would simply look for the driver for the card instead of wasting my time trying to find drivers for "NIC Pavillion 6745C"). I've got one driver that I'll try tomorrow, and then it's new card time after that.

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Kinner
Message 5 of 5 (69 Views)

Have you tried Everest Home Edition? It may be able to identify the chipset used for the NIC. Desktops are pretty good about accepting generic drivers so if we can figure out who makes the chipset we can find a driver for it.

http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1〈=en&pageid=3

Ron
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation