Re: Network Card not in WINIPCFG (169 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Michael Reed_1
Message 1 of 6 (169 Views)

Network Card not in WINIPCFG HP 8652C

[ Edited ]

This is a very odd problem. My network card shows up in the device manager and the Network Neighborhood properties as a properly working device, but does not show up in the pulldown menu when I run "winipcfg" I get a good link to the router as both the router and the network card have steady link LEDs. Internally the card will both take a manual IP address and can be set for DHCP. I have reloaded the drivers, installed a newer card, recovered the system on the computer twice. I did ship the unit across the country, but everything else works fine. When I pull up the WINIPCFG I get PPP and NDSI 3.0 as options but not the network card itself. I have contacted many people on this and no one has every even heard of it.

Thanks

Michael Reed
michaelr@lsqr.com

Honored Contributor
Ron Kinner
Message 2 of 6 (169 Views)

Re: Network Card not in WINIPCFG

The NDIS is the equivalent of your nic and should give you the same info. Seems to be a driver specific thing which name shows up.

See:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/0,,0x048cabe92dabd5118ff10090279cd0f9,00.html

Ron

Occasional Contributor
Michael Reed_1
Message 3 of 6 (169 Views)

I looked at the previous discussion (link) 2 things I noticed with my winipcfg that are diffrent.

1 When I choose "obtain IP address auto maticly" the NDIS will not take the IP address from the router like the other computer on the network.

2 If I assign the IP Gateway Subnet Mask et it shows up in WINIPCFG correctly but the computer will not connect to the web.

any suggestions?

Thanks
Honored Contributor
Ron Kinner
Message 4 of 6 (169 Views)

Are you getting a link light on your network card and on the hub/switch? Could it be as simple as a bad cable or autonegotiate not working?

If you are sure that the cable and speed are correct on both ends of the network cable then I think I would go into settings/control panel/networking and remove tcp/ip then restart the PC and reinstall tcp/ip.

Ron
Occasional Contributor
Michael Reed_1
Message 5 of 6 (169 Views)

I definitly have the solid link lights. Also I have tossed the TCP/IP and Adaptor out of the NN properties a number of times. THis problem began after shipping the computer, could that have anything to do with it?

Thanks

Michael Reed
Honored Contributor
Ron Kinner
Message 6 of 6 (169 Views)

Moving may have damaged the hard drive. Have you done a scandisk?

Being off for a long time may have allowed the
battery to discharge and the CMOS to change. Have you checked the setup?

You said you had changed out the NIC. Can you install the new NIC in a different slot?

Are you sure you are installing the correct driver for the card? When you install the card does it find it by itself or do you have to tell it about it?

Does the Device Manager show it as working with no conflicts?

Ron
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.