Re: My Compaq AP400 does not see the network (46 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Linda C. Cave
Message 1 of 4 (46 Views)

My Compaq AP400 does not see the network

After a hard drive crash, I reinstalled NT4,0 SP6a. Everything is fine except that it does not see the network. I disabled the on-board network card and installed another, it still does not see the network. what's up with this?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
James Kirk
Message 2 of 4 (46 Views)

Re: My Compaq AP400 does not see the network

I recently had some network trouble with my HP. I'm not a huge expert on Compaq's, but I'll give it a try. First get the latest drivers on the network card. If it will not let you install the software that was included with ther network card, then I recomend calling the maker of the network card, as different companies sometimes have compatability isues with other hardware and/or software.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Kinner
Message 3 of 4 (46 Views)

Do you get a link light on both ends?

How are you setting the IP address and mask? DHCP or static? If static try a different address. Perhaps yours is already in use. Do you have the correct mask? Look at

ipconfig /all

Does the information look good? Compare to a working unit.

Are you sure your hub/switch port is good?

Cable good?

check

netstat -rn

do you see a default route? Can you ping by IP address if not by hostname?

Check Start/Settings/Control Panel/Network/Adaptors/

select your adaptor and hit Properties. If it's a 3Com you get all sorts of nice diagnostics here. Check your config that you have the correct speed and duplex set on both ends.

With the built in adaptor you almost always needs Compaq's version of the driver to get it to work.

http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/home/selectproduct.asp?destination=swdrivers

Ron

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Linda C. Cave
Message 4 of 4 (46 Views)

Thanks Ron,

It's been a while since I tried this machine. I will, however, give your solutions a shot.

Again,
Thanks.....
Linda
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation