Re: Monitor Problems (156 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Ryan Fuller_2
Message 1 of 7 (156 Views)
Accepted Solution

Monitor Problems

I have recently installed a new modem in COM4. When I plug in the monitor, directly into the graphics card port, nothing appears on screen. But when I plug it in the VGA plug, I can get a screen picture, but only up to 800X600 mode.

When I unplug the monitor, the non VGA mode works fine and allows me to change the resolution to 1024X768.

In short, the modem is overiding the graphics card. What should I do?

I use an HP Pavilion 732.uk.

Thanks
Occasional Visitor
Ryan Fuller_2
Message 2 of 7 (156 Views)

Re: Monitor Problems

PLEASE IGNORE MY REMARK ABOVE, PLEASE READ THIS ONE***********************

I have recently installed a new modem in COM4. When I plug in the monitor, directly into the graphics card port, nothing appears on screen. But when I plug it in the VGA port, I can get a screen picture, but only up to 800X600 mode.

When I unplug the modem, the non VGA mode works fine and allows me to change the resolution to 1024X768.

In short, the modem is overiding the graphics card. What should I do?

I use an HP Pavilion 732.uk.

Thanks
Honored Contributor
Ron Kinner
Message 3 of 7 (156 Views)

Is this an internal modem? Is your video card PCI or AGP? Did it come with the system or did you add it later? If later, what is it? What operating system?

Look in the BIOS setup to see if there is an option to set primary video.

Check Device Manager for irq conflicts. It's possible to tell Device Manager which IRQ to use.

Ron
Honored Contributor
Omar Senussi
Message 4 of 7 (156 Views)

Ryan,
If the video card is AGP, and your modem is installed in the next PCI slot, you might get some problems, try moving it to a different PCI slot.
If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs... You haven't understood the situation!
Occasional Visitor
Ryan Fuller_2
Message 5 of 7 (156 Views)

I have tried that, but I have solved the problem. Rather than waste my time moving things, I just purchased a new motherboard. This seems to have solved my problem.

Thanks for your help anyway.
Honored Contributor
Omar Senussi
Message 6 of 7 (156 Views)

Great Ryan,
Glad it worked out. A new modem would have been a cheaper solution, but, at least this way, you can get a faster machine!
I suggest you close off the thread if all has been resolved to your satisfaction.
Have a great xmas and new year.
If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs... You haven't understood the situation!
Occasional Visitor
Ryan Fuller_2
Message 7 of 7 (156 Views)

-
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.