HP multimedia keyboard (SK 2505) on XP (436 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Rajiv Thomas
Message 1 of 7 (436 Views)

HP multimedia keyboard (SK 2505) on XP

Hi ,
I just connected n old multimedia keyboard (SK 2505) and monitor (HP5285A)that came with me HP Pavilion PC (which is no longer with me) to my normal PC via the PS/2 port and the video ports . Am using Win XP Pro

The diplay and basic keyboard functions work fine.

Now the probs:
1)I dont seem to be able to configure the short cut keys. The internet key and the volume knob and mute button alone configured itself the rest dont work. I downloaded the drivers from the HP site and then the light next to the "messages" button keeps blinking but nothing happens when I press it.
When I go to the keyboard properties in the Control panel I dont not see the "Buttons" tab inspite of loading the drivers.
2) There is a headphone port on the keyboard is it possible to connect a mic cum headset (used for chat sessions) to that port or do I have to connect the mic directly to the sound card and the headset to this?

Can some one please help. Thanks a ton in advance
Believe in the fact that technology shld work for people and notthe other way around
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Jim Kisco
Message 2 of 7 (436 Views)

Re: HP multimedia keyboard (SK 2505) on XP

Probably the keyboard driver is not compatible with XP.
Try and discover the XP version. Logitech keyboards have the same problems.

Your thoughts are almost correct on the headphone port.
The Mic goes on the sound card and the headphone should work in the keyboard IF the XP keyboard drivers are correct. I'd keep the headphone jack in the soundboard to be safe, or maybe plug into the sound woofer that might be part of your speakers systems.

Good Luck,
Jim
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Kinner
Message 3 of 7 (436 Views)

Have you tried
windowsupdate.microsoft.com and let them scan your system for new updates and drivers that you could use?

Ron
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Rajiv Thomas
Message 4 of 7 (436 Views)

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the response, but just to clarify a bit more on the keyboard issue part. I did go to the HP download site and download the latest driver and instructions available. According to the instructions it requires me to uninstall any availabe keyboard drivers /devices. Now WinXP will not let u remove a keyboard . There is no uninstall/disable option for that . So that cant be done. Second it says install the drivers and then reboot ure pc and it shld give you the right keyboard model number . Now though the drivers pages says its for this model SK2505 when I install it it does not give me this model but some other 2 models and moreover when u go to the keyboard properties in control panel it is supposed to give me a 3rd tab titled "Buttons" which does not appear.

Hope we can get this sorted out.

The part of the head set connecting to the keyboard/subwoofer and the mic direct to the sound card is no big sweat ..Cld live with that.
Believe in the fact that technology shld work for people and notthe other way around
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Rajiv Thomas
Message 5 of 7 (436 Views)

Hi Ron,

Sorry I forgot to answer your suggesstions in my previous post.

yes I do a automatic update check everyday and also go the visit the windows update site almost every alternate day . No luck there. So thats a dead end for me again. Thanks anyway.

Regards
Rajiv
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
John Lorenz
Message 6 of 7 (436 Views)

I might have a driver that will work for you, I use it on a my Pavilion running Win2000. I was very happy to find this driver, for I like the hp2505 keyboard so much that I bought two more off of eBay. lorenz682@hotmail.com
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
steve_232
Message 7 of 7 (436 Views)

John,
I wouldn't mind the driver if you could send it to me...spc_123@yahoo.com thanks
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation