HP m8120n Hard Drive Strategy Guidance Requested (78 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Tim_Olaguna
Message 1 of 4 (78 Views)

HP m8120n Hard Drive Strategy Guidance Requested

A couple of years ago I upgraded my HP Pavilion 514n by having a 200 GB Seagate internal hard drive added to it. The 514n came with a 60 GB hard drive which served as the machine's C: drive. This summer I purchased an HP Media Center PC model m8120n, which comes with a drive bay which can be used for adding removable drives.

The C: drive of the old 514n has totally crashed. I would like to take the 200 GB Seagate internal drive out of that older PC and make it available for use on my Media Center PC. But I'm not sure which is the best strategy for doing that.

Can I simply insert the Seagate drive into the Media Center PC's drive bay?
Or do I need to put the 200 GB drive into some sort of case before it can be plugged into the newer PC's drive bay? If so, what kind of case might I need?
Or should I ignore the newer PC's drive bay altogether and mount the hard drive internally into the m8120n?

As you no doubt know, the m8120n comes with Vista home premium installed. I actually find that faster than running XP on my old 514n. But Vista does have its frustrations. Particularly when trying to run the Excel portion of Microsoft Office 2003. So I'm thinking of using the 200 GB Seagate drive as a base to allow me to dual boot XP.

Any comments, suggestions, or guidance tips would be greatly appreciated.
Esteemed Contributor
Jules
Message 2 of 4 (78 Views)

Re: HP m8120n Hard Drive Strategy Guidance Requested

I am presuming that you just used the 200GB disk for storage.
You will be able to use the 200 GB drive in the new machine, but as it does not have an operating system on it, you would not be able to boot from it. You can mount it internally in any spare drive bay. If the disk is an IDE disk then you will need to remove the 'jumper' from it so that the new machine sees it as a 'slave'. If the 200GB disk is a Sata disk, you will need to go into the BIOS to tell the new computer to boot off the disk with the Vista operating system on it.
You will then 'see' the contents of the old disk in probably E:
Another way to use the 200 GB disk is to put it into a USB enclosure and plug into a USB port.
Any problems you have with MS Office Excel 2003, will not be due to the Vista operating system. What sort of problems are you having with Excel 2003?
---++++Only read the manual as a last resort++++---.
Occasional Contributor
Tim_Olaguna
Message 3 of 4 (78 Views)

Jules -

Well, thanks for trying to help, and I do appreciate the tip about a USB enclosure, but I have to disagree with you on some points.

When the 200 GB drive was in the old HP 514n I was able to successfully partition it a number of times and dual boot off of it into various flavors of Linux. Or into XP off of the old C: drive. I do have a copy of Windows XP and have found very good referrals around here to places where I can acquire the necessary drivers and follow guides which explain how to set things up so I can boot into either Vista or XP. I'm just trying to determine the best way to internally mount the drive into the m8120n.

I'm not worried about trying to save older data off the 200 GB drive. I have an internal network here at home and saved what I wanted off the old 514n first to our iMac, then onto the new m8120n after I installed it last Summer.

I'm having two problems with Office 2003 under Vista. First, every time I run Excel it complains it is missing stdole32.tlb and must re-install itself. (It also "forgets" all of the Excel files it has been working with. Every farging time!) Second, I know the standard answer to "solve" that problem is to make sure one has done the most recent critical updates from Microsoft. But I have attempted to do those updates a very large number of times and they always fail. Further, the steps you are supposed to follow to fix those failures also always fail. Thus I'd rather run Office 2003 from XP.

Again, thanks for trying to help.
Esteemed Contributor
Jules
Message 4 of 4 (78 Views)

I have to disagree with you on some points.
You havn't disagreed with anything!
Your first post was unclear and I made some assumptions.

When the 200 GB drive was in the old HP 514n I was able to successfully partition it a number of times and dual boot off of it into various flavors of Linux. Or into XP off of the old C: drive. I do have a copy of Windows XP and have found very good referrals around here to places where I can acquire the necessary drivers and follow guides which explain how to set things up

If you format the 200 GB drive you could load XP on it. (You will probably have to re-validate the new installation with your licence from the old machine with Microsoft). You would need to load XP when you have it in the new machine. (You would disconnect your Vista drive while doing this). Then, if necessary, you will need to find any missing drivers.
.....so I can boot into either Vista or XP. I'm just trying to determine the best way to internally mount the drive into the m8120n.
Put it into a spare drive bay?

I'm having two problems with Office 2003 under Vista. First, every time I run Excel it complains it is missing stdole32.tlb and must re-install itself.
Have you looked for the file to see if it is on the CD?
Have you tried uninstalling > re boot > re-installing your MS Office CD?

Second, I know the standard answer to "solve" that problem is to make sure one has done the most recent critical updates from Microsoft.
I have installed MS Office 2003 on top of Windows Vista with no problems, and not needing updates.
What version of Office are you trying to install?

Again, thanks for trying to help.
No Problem - that's what you came to the forum for - for assistance/discussion. There are many volunteers 'lurking' here and some of them will be 'watching' this thread, and no doubt they will chip in if necessary.
---++++Only read the manual as a last resort++++---.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.