Re: HP Media Center pc 876x - CPU Fan Error (218 Views)
Regular Advisor
Martin Capehart
Message 1 of 3 (218 Views)

HP Media Center pc 876x - CPU Fan Error

This system came in throwing a "CPU fan is not working - serve immediately" error. I cleaned out the large amount dust and everything looked normal. This system has a large CPU heatsink with a rear case fan and removable shield to moves the air over the CPU heat sink before it exits the case. Although there is a CPU fan plug on the mainboard, there is no CPU fan and the heat sink is too tall for one.

I went into the bios and reset to default settings and rebooted with the same problem.

I shut the system down and let it sit for a few minutes and then I was able to boot it normally. In fact, I restarted it without the error message several times.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Occasional Visitor
J. Ed Anderson
Message 2 of 3 (218 Views)

Re: HP Media Center pc 876x - CPU Fan Error

I have a similar problem with an HP Pavilion 505n. The fan failed and I replaced it with a generic model. The fan is running fine but the error message won't go away. I tried resetting to default but that hasn't solved the problem.

Occasional Visitor
Jim Bernardo
Message 3 of 3 (218 Views)

Re: HP Media Center pc 876x - CPU Fan Error

I'm having the same problem. After dowloading a BIOS upgrade,from HP's website, for a HP PAvilion 505n, a CPU Fan failed error message appeared, however, fan is operating. Contacted HP Suppport and they were helpless. Unplugged the cpu fan from motherboard and plugged it into system fan slot and error message went away however, fan stops running after Windows XP loads. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.