Re: HELP PLEASE (171 Views)
Occasional Visitor
HELP!!!
Message 1 of 4 (171 Views)
Accepted Solution

HELP PLEASE

i tried to update my bios and i did everything hp told me to do. when i got to the part where i had to type "biosupdt" i got an error and instead of aborting the issue, i ignored it. now my computer starts but notthing happens. i just get a black screen at the begining. i think there is something wrong with my motherboard!! please help me
Honored Contributor
John Y
Message 2 of 4 (171 Views)

Re: HELP PLEASE

We don't know the make and model, or why you were doing it in the first place,...but try clearing the cmos/bios, by way of removing the little round nickel sized battery on the motherboard for 10-20 min, while the PC is unplugged. That is, if you have one their ? If this works, it'll fire up and give you a message about date and time etc being wrong. If it doesn't, Uh-Ohhhh, let us know.
Occasional Visitor
David Young_11
Message 3 of 4 (171 Views)

Most motherboards have a jumper that clears the cmos or bios. Find that jumper, short the jumper out and then reboot computer. This will give you the original bios setup and you need to reset your bios settings. I doubt that you have lost everything but does seem scary. If you have the battery, that will sometimes work as the last reply stated.

You just learned a great lesson about playing around in CMOS or BIOS. Be careful and slow down.

Good luck to you
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 4 of 4 (171 Views)

I updated my bios one time and had an experience like that. It is scary. Sorry to hear that you are going through the same thing.Hoipe you can reset yours. I had to replace my chip in mine. If that is your case, you might jsut want to price new MOB's instead of paying for the chip.

Just a thought.

Rich
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.