Re: Does my pavilion have a spare 3-pin plug? (91 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Martin_88
Message 1 of 4 (91 Views)
Accepted Solution

Does my pavilion have a spare 3-pin plug?

Hi, I was wondering if anybody here could help me.
I have a pavilion 7975 2Ghz.
I bought a 90mm fan to cool my ati radeon 9700 but it has a 3-pin plug and as far as I can see I only have three 3-pin connectors and there all in use already.
So my question is does the pavilion 7975 have a spare 3-pin plug or a 4-pin plug so I only have to buy a 3-pin to 4-pin cable?
I would really appreciate a reply.

Martin
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jerome Henry
Message 2 of 4 (91 Views)

Re: Does my pavilion have a spare 3-pin plug?

Not an easy thing, this motherboard, as you know from
http://bizforums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/0,,0x76e735067c18d6118ff40090279cd0f9,00.html
is quite special. If you do not see any spare 3-pin plug, chances are that there aren't any. Getting a doubler could do, but I'm not sure tahts it is generally specaking a good idea...
You can lean only on what resists you...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Martin_88
Message 3 of 4 (91 Views)

Thank you for your reply.
I know what motherboard I have its this one:
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=bph07293&prodId=hppavilion68116
But the 3-pins are so small I can hardly see them on the picture.
I read that if u use a doubler only one cooler will get the full voltage and I don t want my case cooler to get a lower voltage. Is this true?
Could I use a 3-pin ADAPTER for it? I have seen them on the internet but they are used for laptops or something maybe its something different.
What about the 4-pin connector do u think I have one on my motherboard?
I realy hope so my case is getting to hot in games like unreal2 2003 and I have not overclocked anything.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jerome Henry
Message 4 of 4 (91 Views)

It's true that if you use a doubler, the input is divided by the number of devices. Result is that full power is given to only one...
So your calculation has to be 'which device can I give less voltage with no risk', if no device, then no solution I'm afraid.
3-pin ADAPTER to connect to main fan won't work, as you say it's used toi double main fan power for laptops with 2 case fans.
Last bad news, your 4 pin plug should already be used (most of the time for your video card).
I'm afraid there is no easy solution...
J
You can lean only on what resists you...
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation