Re: CPU fan failed error - Pavilion 8662C desktop (52 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Christopher Olenski
Message 1 of 4 (52 Views)

CPU fan failed error - Pavilion 8662C desktop

I just changed to a new video card on my Pavilion 8662C. I am now getting a CPU fan failed error. (The CPU fan is not spinning. The PS fan is working fine.) The CPU fan worked fine prior to the new video board so I don't think it actually failed. I switched the wires for CPU fan and the PS fan (as a diagnostic check)where they plug into the motherboard and it still gave the same CPU fan failed error.

Part of the HP instructions to install a new video card included going into bios and hit F5 to go back to the default settings. I think that may have soemthing to do with the problem based on some other posts? Is there any way to go into the bios and look at soemthing related to the CPU fan?

Is there anything else I can try?
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Michael Dillman
Message 2 of 4 (52 Views)

Re: CPU fan failed error - Pavilion 8662C desktop

If you swap the card back to the old one, does the fan then work? It is possible that it did fail and it is just a coincidence that it happened when you were changing the card.
If at first you don't succeed, you must be installing Windows
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor
HGN
Message 3 of 4 (52 Views)

Hi

I agree with Micheal that this could be coincidence, but you need to confirm but the swapping the card.

Rgds

HGN
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Christopher Olenski
Message 4 of 4 (52 Views)

Thanks for the ideas! After a lot of trial and error I determined the the pin connection on the CHA_FAN motherboard was bad. (I do not have a CPU fan, just a chassis fan. Apparently when the chassis fan is not workign it gives a cpu fan failed error.) One of the HP techs gave me a tip to use a three pin to four pin connector, and plug directly into one of the open white four "pin" (I think female) connectors coming off the power supply. I did that and the fan took off and is now running. I still get the CPU fan failure though because computer start up check fails since the CHA_FAN is not hooked into the usual the pins on the motherboard, thus a CPU fan failure error.

I would used the command in BIOS to disable that CPU fan check via hardware monitor, but my BIOS is too old and doesn't have that feature. One of the hp techs sent me a BIOS update, not sure if it will allow the disable fan check in the Hardware Monitor. I didn't install it yet because another tech told me not to install it because it could render my computer useless, and depending on what is in the BIOS update it might not even have the fan check diable. So for now on every start up I have to hit F2 (resume) vs F1 (for BIOS set-up) to allow my computer to boot up.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation