Re: Bogus "CPU Fan Failed" Error Message (64 Views)
Occasional Visitor
brett_15
Message 1 of 3 (64 Views)

Bogus "CPU Fan Failed" Error Message

My Pavilion gives the message "CPU Fan Failed - HAVE SYSTEM SERVICED IMMEDEATELY" every time it boots. I must press F2 to complete POST and boot into Windows or DOS. This is a Pavilion 8662c.

The CPU fan seems to be working just fine. . . I can feel the air current at the back of the CPU fan housing (and, yes, I do know the difference between the CPU fan and the power supply fan. . . both are working.)

I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Aaron_62
Message 2 of 3 (64 Views)

Re: Bogus "CPU Fan Failed" Error Message

I had the same problem with the Pavilion 8662c and I was able to resolve this issue by flashing the BIOS. The most resent BIOS adds a option to disable "CPU Fan Failure detection" Although this doesn't explain what happened, it does take care of the problem.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Christopher Olenski
Message 3 of 3 (64 Views)

Re: Bogus "CPU Fan Failed" Error Message

I am having something similar. I just changed the video card and now the CPU fan isn't working and I am getting a CPU fan failed error. I can't believe the fan truly has failed since it worked fine all along. Could perhaps setting bios to default be causing this? Anything else to check? As far as I know I have the wires plugged into the motherboard correctly. I cannot find a diagnostic for the fan. {Pavilion 8662c with Windows 98.)
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation