rp5700 with RAID (184 Views)
Occasional Advisor
SneakyG
Message 1 of 7 (184 Views)

rp5700 with RAID

Hello, I am new so bear with me. I am ultimately trying to create a customized, legal, professional DR that I can sell to customers with this system. I use a DOS based version of GHOST to image computers but the DOS driver will NOT detect the DVDROM drive.

I have a rp5700 with an onboard SATA RAID controller with 2 160GB hard drives. In the BIOS, if I have the SATA emulation set to IDE, it will list ports 0 and 2 underneath plus port 1 underneath that. When I did this my DR DVD will "see" the DVD drive and will load its drivers and it boots up just fine. However, I can't use RAID.

Next, I changed SATA emulation from IDE to RAID. Then I used the RAID console utility to set up RAID 1 before the OS Boots. After I did this, my boot disk doesn't work. Its kind of funny because the I can see that it starts to boot off the DVD drive, it starts to load the device driver, then it say "cannot find drive". Somehow, enabling the RAID controller "hides" the DVD drive.

Any help would be appreciated. Ultimately I need a bootable DVD with my image on it, but that is proving to be a problem with the RAID enabled. I will probably try to make a WinPE disk in the future but untill then I would like to keep trying to solve this...
The more certifications I get, the less value I think of them...
Occasional Advisor
SneakyG
Message 2 of 7 (184 Views)

Re: rp5700 with RAID

OH Yeah, if I was unclear the DVD drive is SATA...
Trusted Contributor
Gfuss
Message 3 of 7 (184 Views)

SneakyG,
If your DVD drive starts to boot, but then fails to find a local hard disk, then the DVD is working fine.

It appears that the bootable DVD cannot find a bootable drive as you have switched it to a mirrored raid (RAID 1). I'm assuming you'll need to get the SATA RAID drivers on your bootable DVD so that the DVD can see the raid.

I have found BartPE to be exceptional at doing this. I have a bootable DVD that includes the Ghost32 exectuable. This allows you to use ghost, but from a Windows environment (with networking) without the worry of DOS drivers. You will then also be able to add your SATA drivers to the BartPE image.

It is available here: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
Occasional Advisor
SneakyG
Message 4 of 7 (184 Views)

Thanks, I will probably use WinPE however.
Occasional Advisor
SneakyG
Message 5 of 7 (184 Views)

The driver is iastor.sys so I simply put in my config.sys file
device=iastor.sys

However, this doesn't work...
Trusted Contributor
Gfuss
Message 6 of 7 (184 Views)

Have you tried inserting an IDE DVD drive as a test (assuming on-bard IDE)? The SATA RAID option must also be doing something to the other SATA channel making it un-detectable by the DOS program.
Occasional Advisor
SneakyG
Message 7 of 7 (184 Views)

My rp5700 does not have on-board IDE; Only 3 three SATA ports as far as I can tell.

The SATA DVD rive works fine, perfectly fine. I even switched the drive with another and came up with the same problems.

I can boot from it when I put the SATA emulation on Legacy. The drivers are loaded and I can get to a command prompt. When I set the SATA emulation to RAID, the same drivers that worked before will not "see" the DVD drive. It says "no drive Found"

I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem and found a solution...
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.