non-destructive recovery and dead hotmail (14 Views)
Occasional Visitor
carol darnell_1
Message 1 of 3 (14 Views)

non-destructive recovery and dead hotmail

Running XP Home, SP2, all patches on that 7955 of mine. I had a problem the other day, evidently caused by another failing modem. After replacing the modem (post whatever damage the old one might have caused), I
ended up having to use my recovery discs to perform a non-destructive recovery (yeah, right.. how about semi-non-destructive?) since the box wouldn't boot even using the onboard recovery. Anyway, I have the box back, though I still need to re-install SP2, and can get to all of my sites/links/favorites/etc using IE - but hotmail (not via Express) is virtually dead in its tracks. I can get logged in but
response to going to my inbox is essentially frozen. Any suggestions? The non-destructive part did obviously destroy some things (cookies, my dial-in link, my firewall and AV settings, logs, etc) What did I forget in my recovery that might affect hotmail? I did drop a note to MSN Support, but no feedback yet. thanks in advance!
Honored Contributor
Ron Kinner
Message 2 of 3 (14 Views)

Re: non-destructive recovery and dead hotmail

hotmail probably wants to set a cookie so make sure your security and Privacy settings in IE are not too high or just put *.hotmail.com in your Trusted Zone.

You may also need to install the .net software from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Ron
Occasional Visitor
carol darnell_1
Message 3 of 3 (14 Views)

Re: non-destructive recovery and dead hotmail

Thanks, Ron! I'll check those out. I'm presuming I have to reinstall the recovery patch before reinstalling SP2, plus obviously there are some drivers which lost their updates. Is there a document anywhere which defines what actually gets performed (and what gets clobbered) using the non-destructive recovery? This seems awfully hit-or-miss!
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.