nc6120 - SD Host Controller (651 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Jonathan P. Currier
Message 1 of 17 (651 Views)

nc6120 - SD Host Controller

I am needing the hardware drivers for the SD Host Controller that comes with the Compaq/HP nc6120. The driver page for the nc6120 doesn't have these drivers, nor does the XP SP2 disk that was included with the laptop include these drivers. Thanks!
Honored Contributor
Roger Faucher
Message 2 of 17 (651 Views)

Re: nc6120 - SD Host Controller

Jonathan:

Could you be more specific please. Here is some info about your system:

http://tinyurl.com/9r2m4

but I see no reference to SD. What is SD anyway. SanDisk was all I could think of...

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Occasional Visitor
Jonathan P. Currier
Message 3 of 17 (651 Views)

Under 'Device Manager' in XP, there is a listing for Secure Digital Host Controllers | SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller. It appears to be related to the SanDisk (SD) card reader located in the front of the laptop under the touchpad. In rebuilding a laptop from "scratch", I am unable to locate the drivers for this device.
Honored Contributor
Roger Faucher
Message 4 of 17 (651 Views)

Jonathan:

This is the description:

"
6-in-1 Media Reader Supports SD (Secure Digital), MMC (MultiMediaCard), Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro,
Smart Media, xD-Picture card
CAUTION: This notebook PC does not support Memory Stick Duo Cards or Memory Stick
Duo Adapters. Inserting one of these cards or adapters into your notebook can damage the memory card or adapter and/or the notebook PC.
"

This must be the driver:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqnk/us/download/22416.html

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Occasional Visitor
Robert Avdichuk
Message 5 of 17 (651 Views)

Normally, you would have to install XP SP2 to get the driver files. I was able to do it on an nc6220 by copying the sdbus.sys and sdhcinst.dll files from a machine with SP2 already installed to my drivers folder. I then added the drivers folder to the OemPnPDriversPath value in my sysprep.inf file. Unfortunately, when the machine boots up, you still have to answer 2 prompts (Continue and Finish) to get the driver to install, but it does work.
Occasional Visitor
David_527
Message 6 of 17 (651 Views)

I too am in need of these drivers but I am running Windows 2K. It just shows up an a Unknow device in the DM.
Honored Contributor
Roger Faucher
Message 7 of 17 (651 Views)

David:

The link I provided in my last post is also for the W2K driver.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Frequent Advisor
Berger Christian
Message 8 of 17 (651 Views)

Hello Robert,
i tried the same.
An XP Image with SP1 and manually included the driver for the SD BUS. But it don't work.
I have an nc6120 notebook. The HP Driver for the Meomory Card reader did not work with XP SP1. (not with the image not manually) SD Card is still an unknow PCI-Device in the Hardware list. It depends on the sdbus driver from SP2.
What Imagesort did you use - riprep? Can you tell where you placed the files and how you referenced it in the .sif file.

sdbus.inf
sdbus.sys
sdhcinst.dll

regards christian
Occasional Visitor
Robert Avdichuk
Message 9 of 17 (651 Views)

I am using Sysprep for imaging. We have a number of folders set up under C:\WinXP (our catchall folder) for driver files. I copied three files (sdbus.inf, sdbus.sys and sdhcinst.dll) from a Windows XP SP2 machine into the C:\WinXP\Misc folder, which is referenced in the "OemPnPDriversPath" line.

Here is the Unattended Section from our Sysprep.inf File:

[Unattended]
OemSkipEula=Yes
OemPreinstall=Yes
OemPnPDriversPath=\WinXP\Audio;\WinXP\
Cardbus;\WinXP\Chipset;\WinXP\DVD;\WinXP\EAB;\WinXP\Keyboard;\WinXP\Misc;\WinXP\Modem;\WinXP\Mouse;\
WinXP\Network;\WinXP\Power;\WinXP\Touchpad;\WinXP\USB;\WinXP\Video;\WinXP\Wireless
UpdateInstalledDrivers=Yes
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386
TargetPath=\WINDOWS

This worked, but I got two pop-ups that I had to manually answer to actually install the driver. I fixed that problem by also copying the same three files to the C:\Windows\inf folder and also copying sdbus.sys and sdhcinst.dll files into the C:\Sysprep\i386 folder. By doing this, when the machine went into mini-setup on the first start-up, the driver installed without any user intervention.
Occasional Visitor
Marc Turcotte_1
Message 10 of 17 (651 Views)

I have the same problem. I have attempted the download of the Media Reader drivers without any luck.

The Media Reader drivers only install the
TI PCMCIA adapter, TI PCMCIA and Flash memory Device, and TI PCI GemCore based SmartCard controller.

What we need is the SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller.

I will try getting the SDBUS.SYS (and related files) off a system that has XP Pro SP2, but it would be nice to be able to get these files from HP for XP Pro SP1, since SP1 is still a supported MS product.
Occasional Visitor
Dave_480
Message 11 of 17 (651 Views)

Hello,
I have a couple of laptops with this problem, NC4200 and NC6120, I am using Win2k and as said before there are no drivers for the "SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller", it is just known as a unknown PCI device, I have managed to install a driver using these files
sdbus.inf
sdbus.sys (from an XPSP2 Machine)
sdhcinst.dll
but after a reboot under DM the device says
"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"
does 2k need a different version of these files?? Any Ideas
Thanks
Dave
Occasional Visitor
Andrzej Zalewski
Message 12 of 17 (651 Views)

If you do not have access to a system with Windows XPSP2. You will have to copy 3 mentioned above files from the provided with the notebook Restore Operating System CD.
Note, files will have to be uncompressed using expand command (on the CD they come with "_" as the last character of the extension. e.g. sdbus.sy_ instead of sdbus.sys). After expanding rename sdbus.ini to sdbus.inf. Then voila, you will be able to install SD Host Controller driver manually. Or rather update driver of the detected "PCI device" and navigate to the folder with the extracted files.
Hope this helps
Andrzej
Occasional Visitor
Andrzej Zalewski
Message 13 of 17 (651 Views)

Small correction to my previous posting.
Do not rename sdbus.ini to sdbus.inf but simply expand the file to proper extension sdbus.inf :)
Well it was a long day
Occasional Visitor
Simon Buckland
Message 14 of 17 (651 Views)

Hi Guys

To get the SD Host Controller use the Systems Enhancements Disk for Windows XP. There is a windows 2000 Enhancement disk also. Read the Enhancement section and it will tell you there it installs the (SD) host controller driver. I tested this on an nc6220 with XP SP1 after finding an unknown PCI device in device manager. After the reboot the drivers for the SD host controller had installed. It also wrote out a directory for the SD Host driver files to "c:\SWSetup\Misc1\SD Host" so you can use these files later if you want to do an unattended install.

Apologies if I have missed the mark this is my first post.

Occasional Visitor
Simon Buckland
Message 15 of 17 (651 Views)

System Enhancements Disk downloads can be found at the following URLs. These will work for nc6110, nc6120, nc6220, nc6230 models as well as several others.

XP version
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqnk/us/download/22367.html

W2K version
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqnk/us/download/22361.html
Occasional Advisor
S Srinivas
Message 16 of 17 (651 Views)

Hi all,

The driver for SD card reader is available in the HP website for your convienience.

SD: Secure Digital card.It is one of the media card reader driver.

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqnk/us/download/22826.html

Thanks and Regards,

S Srinivas
Occasional Visitor
B'Jay Mondy
Message 17 of 17 (651 Views)

just download sp2 it will do the rest for ya. It work fine for me
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.