Re: This is basically a yes or no question (167 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Deck Shuey
Message 1 of 10 (167 Views)
Accepted Solution

This is basically a yes or no question

Hi - I use my computer an average of 3-9 hours a day.

I know there are other options for what I'll be asking - but I need the choice JUST BETWEEN the following options taking into account my first sentence in this note:

(1)When done using my computer for the day...click start...& then Shut Down...& when the dialog box pops up...use the drop down arrow to have "Shut down" for your choice & click on OK. Then just reboot your computer each day.

(2)Close all programs...I have my computer set up where the 2 monitors are just black except for one which has my desktop icons (which I can turn off by right clicking my mouse & choosing the option to do that).

This leaves my computer on with both monitors black until I use it the next day.

OK - Which of the 2 options are are best for my computer & will make it last longer?

THANKS
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Roger Faucher
Message 2 of 10 (167 Views)

Re: This is basically a yes or no question

Clearly NOT a yes or no question. ;-)

Perhaps a 1 or 2 question...

Today, for most users, I would lean towards 1, although I confess that both at home and at work I employ 2.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Deck Shuey
Message 3 of 10 (167 Views)

Yep - u got me there. I should have said it is a 1 or 2 question.

But from your reply....I'm still not sure whether to employ 1 or 2.

But maybe some more people will reply to this & if enough do....I'll just go with the majority.

THANKS
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
P Muralidhar Kini
Message 4 of 10 (167 Views)

Hi Deck,

I would go with option 1.
This would be a better option compared to option 2.

I tend to use option 2 at times when i get lazy and cant wait for the system to get rebooted :)

What do you exactly mean by last longer ??
you mean age of computer (hardware problems or something like that) ?

Regards,
Murali
Let There Be Rock - AC/DC
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Steven Clementi
Message 5 of 10 (167 Views)

The short/quick answer would be option 1.

Why?

All electronic devices have some stated value for MTBU (Mean Time to Belly Up) (ok, ok.. MTBF, MeanTime Before Faulire).

At some point... a device will fail. The longer you run the device, the more likely it is to fail sooner rather than later.

Assuming you mean that you want to use you computer for 5 years... and not that you care that it wil be outdated in 6 months... the longer the computer is off, the better for you.

I used to run a Web Server, Mail Server and AD Server... from my house. They were on 24/7/365. The only time I ever needed to shut them down was for when I wanted to give them a break for a couple of hours. I don't remember anything ever failing for at least a 2 to 3 year span.

You computer's life span will be affected by the environment it runs in though. A dusty room will cause quicker build up and diminished air flow. A cramped room will cause a warmer environment.

Cleaning your computer regularly, and keeping it in a cooler location will lengthen the life of your computer.

Option 2 on the other hand will offer you some benefits.. quicker access to the computer mainly.

If you maintain your computer regularly, you should not have to wait for it to boot up long periods of time.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Deck Shuey
Message 6 of 10 (167 Views)

Well - it looks like I will stick with #1. I should have gotten this straightened out a long time ago. The 1st couple of years I had this computer (& I bought it used), I left it on all the time....except for once a month I would turn it off for about 24 hours.

The reason I did this is that I thought I heard or read somewhere that turning it off & on everyday was more of a strain on it that just keeping it on all the time.

I began to start using option #1 about a month ago because I just got to thinking it would last longer that way.

For the person who asked what I meant by "last longer"....I just meant I know these don't last forever...things eventually wear out & you have to either start fixing them all the time or get a new one.

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 7 of 10 (167 Views)

1) might be better for long term but as I've mentioned before using hibernate will get it up faster, almost like your 2).

What type of monitors do you have? tube, LCD?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jay Bollyn
Message 8 of 10 (167 Views)

Option (1) is the better choice for you, and that is what I do at home.

In the office, I rarely even log off. I just lock my session with + L. But I have an enclosed office in a secure network area.

J.
check Facebook
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Cheryl G.
Message 9 of 10 (167 Views)

I agree, Option 1 is the winner.Though I confess that my Desktop does run most of the time. When I think about it I do put it in Standby. My laptop I take much better care,and always shut it down after use.Laptops are more 'fragile' I think and definitely more expensive to replace.

Work computers_hmm,did I logoff before I left today?:-)
``````````````````````
**Clicking the KUDOS star on the left is a way to say 'Thanks'**
*To help others find solutions, click 'Accept as Solution' on a Reply that solves your issue*
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
dbarnes7
Message 10 of 10 (167 Views)

I vote for Option 2. I have always been told that turning a computer off and on is what speeds up their demise. When you turn it on, all the components will heat up and expand and get up to the normal operating temperature and stay there. When you tun it off, the components cool down and contract. Turn it on again and the components heat up again. This heat up and cool down cycle will wear out the components faster.
If your PC is set up correctly with good ventilation and cleaned occasionally, it can stay on for extended periods of time. The only time my PCs are ever turned off is for hardware maintanance. As for the monitors, put them to sleep, go to a screen saver or simply turn them off.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation