Re: Seems like in trying to make my PC faster...I've made it slower..help (508 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Deck Shuey
Message 1 of 13 (509 Views)
Accepted Solution

Seems like in trying to make my PC faster...I've made it slower..help

I guess I should have let things be. You know they say...curiosity killed the cat.

The last few days I've done several things to get my computer to run faster..but I've slowed it down quite a bit.

The most recent thing I did was download PC Pitstop & run some of their tests. They showed me a page of many things that I should do to speed up my computer...but I thought this site was free.

It was free to find out all the problems...but to fix them it wanted cash.

I happened on a review site & it said the best site along these lines (& it was free) was called "Glary Utilities" or "Glary".

Anyway...I ran their scan "or one of them" & it came back with....Registry Cleaner, 311 problems found. Startup Manager, 2 problems (I guess their saying I should stop these from starting up...but not delete them..I think).

And temporary files it said 2.81GB files found (& I guess they are saying I should delete these?).

I think they had other tests I could run...but I'm going to hold off on that until I have more info.

I really worry about messing with registry files...because I know you can really mess up your computer if you do something wrong with these.

Should I go ahead & press the button where "Glary" says it will deal with my 311 registry problems?

Actually - it says 1 click maintenance. There is a button to press that says "repair problems"....so I guess if I press it....it deals with everything.

I also ran the "Spybot...search & destroy program earlier today for the 1st time. That just gave me a list of about 21 tracking cookies I could get rid of...although I haven't done that yet.

I mentioned that in a reply to one of my previous threads earlier today I think....I wasn't sure if I should delete those or not.

I think in the future I will just leave well enough alone. It seems some of the time when I mess around trying to do things & experiment with them...I make things worse instead of better...especially if things were running pretty good to begin with.

Do you folks think I should hit the "Repair Problems" button on the "Glary Utilities" program and/or get rid of the cookies that "Spybot - S&D" mentioned?

Any suggestions....instructions...comments...etc. would really be appreciated. THANKS
Honored Contributor
Jay Bollyn
Message 2 of 13 (509 Views)

Re: Seems like in trying to make my PC faster...I've made it slower..help

I don't think you will see much speed improvement from registry cleaner utilities. I see that cnet.com likes Glary Utilities, but I am always suspicious of websites who review software, and also accept advertising (banner ads) from software companies.

There are only two things which will really speed up your PC. Everyone needs at least 512MB system RAM for winXP. Depending on the apps you run, you might need more, for good system performance.

The other performance booster is to backup your data and reinstall winXP. This is a big job if you have not done it before, but the speed improvement is anywhere from noticeable to dramatic.

The only preventative/protection apps I run are an anti-virus program, and Malwarebytes Anti-malware (free version). If you get too many of those apps running at the same time, they can definitely complicate things, and slow your system.

You could let the utility delete the temp files, and the registry keys, but I doubt you will see much speed improvement.

J.
check Facebook
Honored Contributor
WFHC-WI
Message 3 of 13 (509 Views)

hi Deck,

The previous poster is right. Even the messiest registries don't typically cause a huge performance hit. Deleting temp files is not a bad idea in general but it shouldn't speed up your PC. Tracking cookies are potentially dangerous but again would not cause a noticeable decrease in performance.

Adding memory and/or reinstalling the OS always help but either cost you money or time. One quick fix is to open the run box and type MSCONFIG. From this window you can prevent programs from running at startup. I also recommend defragmenting your drive through Accessories > System Tools.

good luck, if you appreciate the help we appreciate the points! :)
Frequent Advisor
Deck Shuey
Message 4 of 13 (509 Views)

Thanks for your replies - I know I'm a novice compared to you folks. I do try to always remember to assign points which is usually 10....which I did again...I hope they show up.

That was another thing that I did a while back that you mentioned...MSCONFIG...& stopping some of my programs from starting at startup...I had read somewhere about that too. It didn't seem to hurt or help at the time. But now I always get a message about the fact that I did it when I start my computer....& it says how I can put it back to the way it used to be....I know I could stop this message...but sometimes I think I should switch back...so I just allow it to keep coming up.

Its just been in the last few days that my system has slowed down very noticeably. I should have followed the old adages "If it aint broke, don't fix it".

Sometimes I run across these things that tell me that I can get my computer to run faster...& who doesn't want that. From now on though...once I get it sped up to where it used to be (I hope I'll eventually be able to do that)...I wont mess with it unless needed.

I just started with computers a few years ago because I wanted to play internet poker. But I soon became interested in many of he other things that computers can do today.

I have learned quite a bit on the phone with my ISP, Microsoft, Dell, Hewlitt Packard...when I have run into problems I couldn't fix. I also usually found phone numbers where I could get free help from these folks. But like I said...I know I'm way behind the folks here.

As to your suggestions to back up my computer and load windows again...too advanced for me. I have looked at several ways to back up my computer (because I do have some things I would hate to lose....like my notes on other poker players & a lot of music to name a couple....but I have never pulled the trigger because I thought I might not have done everything right...& would do more damage than good....a recurring theme for me in regards to my computer.

Do you folks think I should do the fixes that I mentioned the programs told me about in my previous message & then uninstall Spybot S&A, PC Pitstop, & Glary Utilities (which I hope I can...I have run into a program that won't let me uninstall it in the past....it was a program that was on this computer when I bought it & I didn't have the password the program needed to uninstall it).

Or forget about those fixes & uninstall those programs.

Or keep the programs...but don't do the fixes they mentioned.

Or some combo from the above?

Anyway....I appreciate the help I get from you folks here & I'm sure I'll be back here with more questions in the future.

And as always...any suggestions, comments, help, would be greatly appreciated. THANKS
Honored Contributor
Jay Bollyn
Message 5 of 13 (509 Views)

I agree, reinstalling winXP is probably beyond your technical ability at this point. The next best approach is to uninstall apps you do not need.

Do NOT install apps that guarantee you a faster PC. They are trying to sell you snake oil. Oftentimes, they are spyware/malware, and will actually make your PC SLOWER.

My suggestion is to uninstall Spybot S&A, PC Pitstop, & Glary Utilities. Install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version). Run it (full scan) and delete all the things it finds.

J.
check Facebook
Respected Contributor
George Persico_1
Message 6 of 13 (509 Views)

Deck

Download a copy of CCleaner
run it and delete anything it finds

It has a registry cleaner but I prefer Eusing Software's "Eusing Free Registry cleaner". Download and install it. Run it. Can make your registry have fewer unnecessary entries and might clean up some of the "speedup" software you installed. You may also want to google "remove XXXXXXX" where the XXXXXXX is the name of the software you installed which finds errors but charges you to remove the offending entry. This stuff is the worst.

PS Jay is right, the best thing you can do for any computer that is somewhat sluggish is to be sure it has adequate memory.

George
Frequent Advisor
Deck Shuey
Message 7 of 13 (509 Views)

Hi J & George - I got rid of Glary utilities, PC Pitstop, & Spybot S & A. without doing the fixes they listed.

I downloaded the Malwarebytes - Anti-Malware free version you suggested J & updated it to the latest version which was #3948.

Then I ran the full scan as you also suggested. It took 56 minutes & scanned 196,999 objects....& believe it or not it didn't find even 1 malicious item out of the Memory Processes, Memory Modules, Registry Keys, Registry Values, Registry Data Items, Folders, or Files.

George...I didn't know if I should download the CC Cleaner you suggested after those results...because I'm getting the message that less is more when it comes to downloading this kind of stuff. So I didn't.

I did notice earlier today that my computer seemed to be running a bit faster than before...I had restarted it...don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.

Anyway - it seems to be running fast enough to where I don't think I should do anything else at this point.

You guys both say that the amount of memory you have is the biggest key to speed. I'm guessing you are talking about RAM memory...is that correct?

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP!
Honored Contributor
Jay Bollyn
Message 8 of 13 (509 Views)

Yes, adding RAM is simple and not too expensive. Right-click on My Computer > Properties > General tab. It is the bottom line in the Computer paragraph.

While you are at it, tell us the complete contents of the Computer paragraph. That will tell us the processor type and speed.

I use CCleaner on the public PCs in my network, mostly to clean up things like browse history between users. I suggest not adding any more apps until we determine the reason for the sluggish performance.

J.
check Facebook
Honored Contributor
Jay Bollyn
Message 9 of 13 (509 Views)

It is a good sign that Malwarebytes did not find anything suspicious. But some malware can hide from any off-the-shelf utility. In that case, the malware needs to be removed manually, with tools from Sysinternals and others. That can be quite complex, and requires knowledge of the registry.

The best way to avoid Internet threats is to keep your browser (Firefox) up-to-date, and be careful what sites you browse to, and what stuff you click on. There are websites which can infect your PC simply by browsing to them, expecially if you are using IE.

Here is what System Properties looks like, on one of my older XP machines:

http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/network/system-properties-xp.jpg

J.

check Facebook
Frequent Advisor
Deck Shuey
Message 10 of 13 (509 Views)

J - Yea...I've looked at the area you told me about many times in the past & looked at the other tabs there also....just to try & learn more & see other things that were available to do.

Although I rarely did anything because I wasn't positive it would have a positive outcome.

Here is all the info on the page you mentioned.

System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Hewlett-Packard
HP xw6400 Workstation
Intel(R)Xeon(R)CPU
5140 @ 2.33GHz
1.98 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

Here is some more info from my Disk Defragmenter page that may be of use.

Volume: Session Status: File System:
(C:) Analyzed NTFS

Capacity: Free Space: % Free Space
66.51GB 34.03GB 51%

Also - I think I mentioned in my last reply that my computer has sped up since the time I mentioned that it had slowed down quite a bit. Although I'm not sure why.

It seems fast enough at this point. Although...of course...It would be nice if it ran even faster.

If you think I need more RAM after looking at this info.....You would have to tell me how to add it.

Also - do you folks still think I should use the CCopy program at this point after the Malwarebytes - Anti Malware found nothing malicious. I am the only user of this computer.

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP EVERYBODY
Honored Contributor
Jay Bollyn
Message 11 of 13 (508 Views)

2GB RAM is fine. You don't need to add any.

I only run CCleaner on public PCs on my network. The public users of these PCs all use the same profile, so CCleaner is configured to run after reboot. It clears things like browse history.

I don't think you will see a speed improvement by running CCleaner.

J.
check Facebook
Honored Contributor
WFHC-WI
Message 12 of 13 (508 Views)

Good job, it sounds like you have the PC running at an acceptable speed.

Other posters are correct, 2GB memory should be plenty for what you are doing.

Are you using a cable or DSL connection to the internet? If you are on dial-up right now that will certainly cause it to be slower! :)

As a rule of thumb, always check Google for results about a program. Typically you can tell from the first few pages of results whether it is legitimate.

Good luck on keeping your computer running faster, and better luck on your poker playing!
Frequent Advisor
Deck Shuey
Message 13 of 13 (508 Views)

WFH-WI - Thanks for your reply & the tip about checking google regarding programs.

My ISP is Comcast & I have a cable modem hook-up which I think is their fastest...I've never had dial-up.

In regards to my poker luck...thanks for wishing me well.

This is one area where I am an expert...before the poker explosion in about 2003....I had been playing and studying for about 20 years. And poker is about skill....although this only applies to poker in the long run.

There is a huge amount of luck in the short term in poker. The better players will eventually win though....although it can take up to a year or a bit more for the luck to even out.

I am really disappointed about the state of internet poker these days. There are too many programs you can buy on the internet these days which have data-mined every poker hand at just about every poker site.

You can buy this info - which most players do these days...so when you sit with players you have never played with before...these programs will tell you all sorts of information about that player. And the better you are with computers...the more info you can get.

So instead of poker player vs. poker player....it is now poker player vs. poker player & computer....which I think is ridiculous.

I still play though & win....but not near as much as I used to. The internet game has become much tougher because of these programs & others similar to them.

OK - enough of my poker rant.

Thanks Again

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.