No Sound on HP Pavilion dv5000, MEDIA device not found... (700 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Kalagle
Message 1 of 2 (700 Views)

No Sound on HP Pavilion dv5000, MEDIA device not found...

Running XP Media Center Edition 2002, SP3.
HP Pavilion dv5000, p/n: EX203AV

Good afternoon,

My HP Pavilion dv5000 laptop has stopped playing sound. Both Windows Media Player and iTunes detect problems with the audio configuration and will not play. VLC appears to play, but no sound comes from the speakers. It might be worth noting that my computer can still BEEP for error messages. I have no audio controls and the driver will not install (see below).

I have tried updating BIOS, uninstalling/reinstalling Conexant HD Audio driver, and also UAA bus driver for HD audio. These seemed to install smoothly. Nothing in the device manager appears with an X or !, and everything appears to be enabled and 'working'.

Conexant AC-Link Audio driver will not install, gives this message: "Driver Installation Failed: Could not find the MEDIA device for this driver".

I ran an audio diagnostic on the HP website and received this:
Test Failed. No device driver is present. (Audio diagnostic (Conexant High Definition Audio)) » More information (Code=71S45-LN375-46R60-6L5OC-I0ET-1)

Under Sound, video, and game controllers in Device manager here is what is listed:
* audio codecs
* bluetooth audio
* bluetooth high quality audio
* conexant high definition audio
* legacy audio drivers
* legacy video capture devices
* media control devices
* video codecs

Am I missing anything? I did not notice any "HD Audio Bus" as mentioned in other threads, but this may be irrelevant.

HP wants to wipe my harddrive and do a full on system recovery, but I'm hoping there's some other way to solve this, as I have many important files and programs on my computer...

Please help!!!

Let me know if you need any further information.
Thank you!
Occasional Visitor
Darren Chandler
Message 2 of 2 (700 Views)

Re: No Sound on HP Pavilion dv5000, MEDIA device not found...

Hello, I am getting the same error, however I have done a clean install of Windows and have been unable to install other drivers as well. You seem a lot further down the track than me, but I have tagged this thread in case you get a response. Good luck!
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.