Keyboard error typing symbols instead of numbers (2583 Views)
Occasional Visitor
AD Nolen
Message 1 of 4 (2,583 Views)

Keyboard error typing symbols instead of numbers

I am trying to reinstall Windows XP on a HP ze4560us laptop. The computer was badly corrupted with a virus. I have reformatted the hard drive and flashed the BIOS. Now when I do to reinstall the Windows XP operating system disk, I am unable to type in the product code. The keyboard lets me type letters but it doesn't let me type numbers. It gives me symbols instead of the numbers. Can anyone help? I am about to trash the computer.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 2 of 4 (2,583 Views)

Re: Keyboard error typing symbols instead of numbers

Are these the symbols above the letters? (Is your shift key stuck?) Or do you have the Num Lock on?
Esteemed Contributor
Edgar Zapata
Message 3 of 4 (2,583 Views)

your AltGr key could be stuck as well, check that also.
Occasional Visitor
AD Nolen
Message 4 of 4 (2,583 Views)

Dennis
The symbols I am getting are the alternates for the numbers: example $ for 4, * for 8. I have checked the shift key and num lock. I can get upper and lower case letters. I only get lower case when I hold down the shift lock key. The embedded numeric keypad does not work either. It produces nothing when typing the numbers. I have pressed Fn+F8 to activate numeric keypad, and lock key to turn on number lock.
It as though it is ignoring the number keys.

Edgar
No AltGr key on this keyboard. Tried the CtrlAlt and typing a letter or number and it produces nothing also.

Let me give both of you a little more info. As I said the computer was badly corrupted with a virus. I first tried reformating the hard drive and restalling the operating system when I first discovered the keyboard errors, symbols for number plus the embedded numbers not working. I tried connecting a manual keyboad and mouse with no luck.
I chatted with an HP tech and we checked the BIOS without the battery or hard drive. Could not get default BIOS due to 0251 error concerning date. Stated the BIOS was corrupt. He suggested flashing the BIOS.
Made a bootable BIOS disk and flashed. Started the OS reinstall and still having the same problem.
Next Tech thought it could be CMOS battery causing issue. Have not replace CMOS battery, but not sure how the CMOS battery could affect the keyboard.

Any suggestions.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.