Re: I can't figure out why my computer quit recognizing my "E" drive (224 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Deck Shuey
Message 1 of 9 (224 Views)
Accepted Solution

I can't figure out why my computer quit recognizing my "E" drive

The 1st computer I had only had one slot...which you could put a CD into to copy the data to your computer. There was no floppy disk or 2nd tray.

I had to buy another drive to burn music to CD-R's. I have a different computer now...but have always used the drive I bought to burn CD's (it is called the "E" drive).

When I go to "My Computer" it shows up there under "Devices with Removable Storage". By the icon for it....it says this: DVD Drive (E:)

I've probably burned around 100 CD-R's. But now...when I select the music to burn & put it in the burn list. The computer no longer recognizes it. It tells me to put a disk in Drive E....which I have already done.

So I'll take the disk out & then put it back in & it still doesn't recognize it. It also says to connect a burner. The "Start Burn" icon should be lit up in the burn list pane...but it's not.

I traced the 2 wires that come from the back of it & those are in place. I know it is on because there is a green light that indicates this...and the tray comes out & goes back in when I hit the appropriate button.

I still have Windows XP Professional version for my OS...but I don't think that info has anything to do with this...I probably shouldn't have even included this sentence.

I can't figure this out. I would appreciate any suggestions, answers, comments, etc.

THANKS

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 2 of 9 (224 Views)

Re: I can't figure out why my computer quit recognizing my "E" drive

Have you gone to the Device Manager to look at DVD/CD-ROM drives and see if there?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Roger Faucher
Message 3 of 9 (224 Views)

Hi Deck:

If you go into the CMOS Setup program during bootup, you should see it there too (usually as a CDROM drive).If you're seeing it there and in Device Manager, then the problem may be your burning software (Nero or Roxio?).

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Jules
Message 4 of 9 (224 Views)

Deck
If your computer software cannot 'see' the E drive (which is your CD burning drive then the communications cable may be faulty.
You say that a green light comes on - that shows only that the power is connected.
There should also be a data cable attached to the back of the Optical Drive.
What you should do is: turn the computer off and remove the power plug from the back of the computer and hold the power-on button in for 10 seconds or so (to make sure there is no electricity around).
Taks the side off the case.
Remove the Data cable from the back of the CD drive and plug it in again. Do the same for where the data cable is attached to the system board/mother board.
Turn the computer on again.
Put a data CD in the drive and test to see if you can read it (double click on the E: CD ROM in My computer to do this).
If you can read it, then test to see if it can burn a CD.
If you cannot read the CD, or if it cannot burn the CD, then the second thing to do is to replace the data cable (taking all the safety precautions as above)
If a new cable does not fix the problem, then purchase a new Optical drive (from a computer parts supplier) and install it with the new cable you used in step 2.
Good luck.
---++++Only read the manual as a last resort++++---.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Deck Shuey
Message 5 of 9 (224 Views)

Thanks for the help folks. After seeing what Jules told me to do....I thought I would look over the situation again...because his suggestions would be very hard & time consuming for me to do.

When looking around on my computer one more time....somewhere I saw something about an "F" drive. I had never seen this before & don't know how it got on my computer.

I went to the "Devices" area on my computer & where it showed the (E:) drive....I went in there and changed the (E:) to an (F:).

And I just got lucky....because that fixed the problem. After I burned a couple more CD's....I went back to the devices area & the (E:) drive was back & it was called the "DVD" drive. And the (F:) drive was called the (CD-RW Drive).

As I said before....I just got lucky.

THANKS
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 6 of 9 (224 Views)

>I went in there and changed the (E:) to an (F:).

I'm embarrassed to ask this, how did you change the drive letter? (Perhaps this is only for XP pro?)

>I just got lucky.

Or unlucky. :-)

I have a USB external disk drive for backups. It was G:. Then one day it decided to be named K:. This messed up my backup scheduled jobs so I had to change the drive letter in the jobs.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Roger Faucher
Message 7 of 9 (224 Views)

Drive letter assignments can be changed by right-clicking the partition in Disk Management and selecting "Change Drive Letter and Paths"

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Jules
Message 8 of 9 (224 Views)

Hi Deck
Glad you have solved your problem yourself.
Changing the drive letter was an inspired idea. I first came across this problem of the CD drive letter not showing up some years ago when a camera (external hard drive) was attached the the computer with Win Xp on it. The camera showed up but not the CD drive. Changing the drive letter of the external device (the camera) to a lower alphabet letter fixed the problem. This drive letter assignment problem can also occur when an external backup hard drive is installed.
Thanks for the points.
---++++Only read the manual as a last resort++++---.
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 9 of 9 (224 Views)

>Roger: Drive letter assignments can be changed by right-clicking the partition in Disk Management

Thanks. Now if I can remember that next time I need it. :-)
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation