HP dc7700 ethernet driver not working... (7425 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Bradley Montgomery
Message 1 of 21 (7,425 Views)

HP dc7700 ethernet driver not working...

Hello everyone,

This is a very strange issue I am having with a dc7700 sff desktop.
After installing XP Pro and then downloading the drivers on a different computer I try to install the network driver and then the device still isnt working. I tried all of the different drivers and it still doesnt work. Device manager shows it as not installed.
I went into BIOS and reset it back to defaults and the network still doesnt work. Bah.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ronald Postma
Message 2 of 21 (7,425 Views)

Re: HP dc7700 ethernet driver not working...

Hi,
Some NIC drivers from HP will not install from the downloaded executable.
The only thing the SPxxxx.exe does is extract the files in the folder c:\swsetup\SPxxxx

What you have to do is install the driver from device manager, richtclick the not installed networkcard and choose to update driver, in the wizard select that you want to install it manually. Then you can select a location,. Browse to the folder where the files were extracted.
There it will find the driver and will install it.

Hope this helps,
Regards, Ronald
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Bradley Montgomery
Message 3 of 21 (7,425 Views)

Hi Ronald, Thanks kindly for your reply and help. It is very much appreciated.
I am getting there.
Went into device manager and chose the location to install the driver and I end up with the HP NetServer 10/100TX PCI LAN Adapter in the device manager and it has a yellow exclamation mark and properties says device cannot start.
Dont you just love these little challenges.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Bill Clontz
Message 4 of 21 (7,425 Views)

I am having a similar problem on an HPD530CMT & am experiencing difficulty connecting to the internet because of error message of: Drivers Not Installed On Network Card. I have NO CD's or recovery discs to identify the Network Card manufacturer. I badly need someone ...if they can...to tell me what DRIVER I need for this particualr string:

PCI/VEN_134D&DEV_7890&SUBSYS_0001134D&REV_02/4&3A321F38&0&20F0

Would GREATLY appreciate ANY and ALL help in this matter...
Thanks...
Bill Clontz
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ronald Postma
Message 5 of 21 (7,425 Views)

Hi Bradley,
Try removing it from device manager and reboot, it will detect and install the networkcard once more.

Regards, Ronald
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ronald Postma
Message 6 of 21 (7,425 Views)

HI Bill,
I would advice you to start a new thread if you have a problem. Putting your problem here has a few disadvantages. I.e. people start helping you and forget the problem from the starter of the thread and that's not really fair, also you can not assign points to the users that help you.

But anyway, the drivers for your system are located here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=nl&prodNameId=316722&p...

Do not know if you have the Intel or the Broadcom card. If you want to identify your hardware download and install PCwizard 2010, just google for it, put it on a USB-stick and install it on your system.
You can also try one, if it does not work, try the other.

Regards, Ronald
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Bradley Montgomery
Message 7 of 21 (7,425 Views)

Hi Ronald, Thanks again for your help.
I have tried doing that but still to no avail.
I have tried so much over the past week its unbeliveable how much time I spend doing this.
I even asked HP support and have been conversing back and forth with them a bit but as they are foreigners their language skills arent the best so its taking 24-48 hrs to get an answer back from them only to be support for a laptop not a desktop. Bah.
Anyhow, here is my device ID... Hope it helps.
The device ID is...
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_104A&SUBSYS_2800103C&REV_02\3&B1BFB68&0&C8

I have many of these Core 2 Duo Systems so am really looking forward to getting them up and running.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jim in Canada
Message 8 of 21 (7,425 Views)

Sounds like you need to install your motherboard drivers so it can recognize the network hardware.
Once you install the chipset driver, it will find the NIC and install the driver.
I don't own one, but all google searches point to an Intel motherboard. But if you have the case open, you should see the brand stamped on the motherboard.
Hope that helps.
Jim
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Bradley Montgomery
Message 9 of 21 (7,425 Views)

Hi Jim, Thanks for your help with this mate.
I can see a HP logo stamped on the M/B. Tried loads of different HP network drivers but still cant get success. Any ideas where to get HP motherboard drivers?
BTW, love your country mate. We visited Ontario last year and just loved it that much that we are now going to Vancouver next year.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ronald Postma
Message 10 of 21 (7,425 Views)

Hi,
This is your chipsetdriver, download it to an USB stick and install it:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=nl&prodTypeId=12...

Then reboot, if still does not work install this one:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=nl&prodTypeId=12...

Reboot again and try once more, if still does not work remove the nic from devicemanager once more and another reboot.

Regards, Ronald
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Bradley Montgomery
Message 11 of 21 (7,422 Views)

Hi Ronald, Again thank you for your help.
Still nothing.
Downloaded thousands of different drivers, bios updates etc etc etc and rebooted and rebooted and unistalled and installed and rebooted and installed and reinstalled again and again and again.
Tried this on 5 different DC7700`s.
Still waiting for slow HP support to get back to me after I told them the device ID.

This is ridiculous.
I have even paid for Driver programs and inistalled them and still they just give me the same driver as the hp website.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ronald Postma
Message 12 of 21 (7,422 Views)

I just remembered I had this on another HP system, do not remember the model. What I did then was installed XP without any drivers or software and then installed the NIC, aftwerwards everything else, but I guess when you already insalled your system your not glad with that idea. I think that there is a driver or other program that causes the driver from the NIC not to start, but I do not know wich one that can be.

Futher I'm out of ideas at the moment. If I think of something else, I will let you know.

Regards, Ronald
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jim in Canada
Message 13 of 21 (7,422 Views)

You stated that device manager showed it as not installed. Do you mean that device manager shows no network card, or that it is there but with an exclamation mark on it.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Bradley Montgomery
Message 14 of 21 (7,422 Views)

Hi Canada Jim, yeah my device manager shows the network adapter is there with the yellow exclamation mark. What a huge pain in the butt this is. I think the HP support person has given up on me. I keep getting emails saying the issue has been solved and the case closed. LOL. What a huge stuff up that is.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Phil.Howell
Message 15 of 21 (7,422 Views)

an alternative approach...
borrow a "usb modem" and get connected
(most teenagers seem to have one of these)
go to the windows update web site and let it do its detection stuff, it should have 3 categories of updates, essential software, optional software, and hardware.
Install the hardware updates and reboot.
Phil
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Boyd Stere
Message 16 of 21 (7,422 Views)

I'm having exactly the same problem. The thread stopped so I'm wondering if you gave up or you found a solution.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Bradley Montgomery
Message 17 of 21 (7,422 Views)

Hi Boyd, I actually ended up paying my local computer shop to find the driver and thank goodness it was only $50. They found it quite easily LOL. Always the way.
Anyhow, when I get back to work tomorrow morning I will be sure to come here and help. They didnt tell me what the driver name is or anything they just added it onto my desktop. I think by memory it was about 23mb but i cant be sure until i get back to work so dont sweat it the worst that could happen is i would need to email the file. I will see if there is any other way to work out how to identify it for you and everyone else that might be having problems locating it.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Bradley Montgomery
Message 18 of 21 (7,422 Views)

OK, Im back.
i got it, its called prowin32 . the size is 25.7MB. Hope this helps.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Boyd Stere
Message 19 of 21 (7,422 Views)

Thanks. After your comment about the computer shop's apparently easy fix, I thought it must not be that difficult. I used pc-wizard to get exact information on the hardware and then went to Intel's site. The ProWin32 looked like the solution and I downloaded it. I'm going to load it and I'll let you know.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Bradley Montgomery
Message 20 of 21 (7,422 Views)

no problems, if you need me to email you the file thats fine just let me know.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Boyd Stere
Message 21 of 21 (7,423 Views)

The PROWin32 from Intel's site worked. I'm just a bit disappointed in HP with the list of drivers for that machine, none of which work! Thanks.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation