HP Pavillion dv2000 Power on password reset (1750 Views)
Valued Contributor
Arnel Rodriguez
Message 1 of 2 (1,750 Views)

HP Pavillion dv2000 Power on password reset

Hi anyone knows any procedure on how to reset power on password my friend forgot it, Recently we only get to search on the web to bring it to any HP center. Hope someone knows some tips about this. Thanks
When in doubt ask, There is no dumb questions!
Regular Advisor
Packrat1947
Message 2 of 2 (1,750 Views)

Re: HP Pavillion dv2000 Power on password reset

If by "power on password" you mean the bios password. If you can access the motherboard you can pull the CMOS battery for a while that that will reset the pw to blank. Some MBs have a shorting jumper to use too.

If it is the Windows pw then go here and download the .zip, unzip it, and then burn the .iso to a CD. Re-member that burning an .iso is not the same as just burning a data CD. Most burning programs have a special mode for .iso. This little utility will reset the XP or 2000, pw to blank.
http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

It is a little geeky to use, but basically you just push the 'enter' key until you get to the bottom of the screen. Then it is an asterisk, I believe. Everyone should build one of these and practice a bit.

Not long ago, I went into Cleveland to help a lady get her old Toshiba Windows 2000 back running. She uses this for controlling an embroidering machine. For unknown reasons, this box suddenly locked her out asking for a password. Goofy. Anyhow, this bootable CD had her back up and running in a few min-utes.

There are many other bootable Cds floating around our universe that will do the same thing but in differ-ent manners.

Keep us posted on the outcome.
Packrat1947
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.