}
}
Re: modem and sound card (28 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Krume
Message 1 of 7 (28 Views)

modem and sound card

Hi,

I tried to connect pci modem Rockwell on my Compaq Deskpro En series PC without success. Same with SB Aureal Vortex 3D.

Any ideas?

Regards

velkovk
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Hari Kumar
Message 2 of 7 (28 Views)

Re: modem and sound card

hi Krume

wat is the error u r getting while establishing the connection.
send the details of the error code and error description.

With Regards
Hari
Information is Wealth ; Knowledge is Power
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Krume
Message 3 of 7 (28 Views)

System Win ME, PII 266MHz/128RAM, previously sound onboard, w/o modem

I put above mentioned (PCI) cards in PCI slot on MB, but when configuring after restarting (new device) w/o success. I point appropriate direction toward drivers (previously downloaded and extracted from manufacturer site)but again w/o success.

In BIOS I change onboard sound disabled, again w/o success in installing SB and same situation with modem.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Michael Dillman
Message 4 of 7 (28 Views)

In device manager, make sure that the onboard drivers show disabled as well. Right click on Modem and Sound drivers for new card and uninstall, then right click and scan for hardware changes or refresh, let windows try to readd the modem. You might also need updated drivers. If you pulled this card from another compaq, you might be able to find the softpaq for the modem under that model number.
If at first you don't succeed, you must be installing Windows
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Larry Straile
Message 5 of 7 (28 Views)

This problem sounds suspiciously like Windows ME did not install ALL the drivers for this older motherboard.If you recently decided to go from Windows 98 to ME there is a possibility some of the Intel chipset functions are unavailable.
By looking in Device Manager,you should see a lot of entries in System that have the words "Intel " in them.Let's hope there also aren't too many Exclamations or question marks.

You may need to go to Intel's site and download their Chipset Identification Utility to figure out what you should have installed on your system.Failure of Windows to ID and install PCI devices is the biggest clue that you have this Chipset driver problem.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Andrew Cowan
Message 6 of 7 (28 Views)

Have you disabled the plug and play OS feature in the BIOS and then run update configuration under the PCI settings? Doing this usually causes Windows to take a fresh look at the devices it thinks that you have installed.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ramesh Pakkath
Message 7 of 7 (28 Views)

What is the model number Compaq DeskPro?
Nothing is "imPOSSIBLE"
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation