dual boot windows 8 and 7 (6649 Views)
Occasional Visitor
BONI
Message 1 of 4 (6,649 Views)

dual boot windows 8 and 7

[ Edited ]

hello, i want to dual boot my windows 8 machine with windows 7. i tried it but the installation always hangs on the way.

a pop up message comes up saying computer's hardware does not support windows 7

P.S. this thread has been moved from Notebook - HP ProBook, EliteBook, Compaq, Slate/Tablet PC, Armada, LTE to Microsoft > W8. - Hp Forum Moderator

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Cmp_Cmndo
Message 2 of 4 (6,635 Views)

Re: dual boot windows 8 and 7

[ Edited ]

I suspect this:

Windows 8 uses GPT partitions.  Windows 7 uses MBR partitions.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725671.aspx

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ProBook 4530s-XU015UT#ABA, Intel Core i3-2310M, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, WDC WD3200BEKT-60PVMT0 (7200rpm), Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Please use plain text.
Advisor
newbiee
Message 3 of 4 (6,619 Views)

[ Edited ]

Not exactly Windows 7 can in fact be installed Via UEFI/GPT and visa versa for windows 8 it takes advance command line stuff though! and you have to modify your installation. right now im using MBR pissed and windows 8<via HP licence< i wanted a GPT :/ wanna trade :D lol jk but really it is possible UEFI has been out for a while. Also if dual boot isn't an option use virtual box to install Win7 you will need to still need to be running Win 8 so your hardware will not be fully available use your bios to select legacy look for boot(something) or just find the letters UEFI change it to UEFI(with CSM) under system config.  if your not an tech savvy+SOME person DO NOT ATTEMPT TO GO INTO THE BIOS!!! From intel list the proof of installation Via UEFI/GPT http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/gpt_white_paper_1_0.pdf

Please use plain text.
Advisor
newbiee
Message 4 of 4 (6,554 Views)

s you can see in my other post ProBook 4540s GPT and UEFI post i can dual boot them both what is did was installed windows 8 useing the standalone UEFI and i installed windows 7 using the UEFI(with CSM) and all i have to do is change the setting to UEFI(with CSM) and i can boot them both! I had a triple boot setup using the legacy but could not access Windows that i had installed on UEFI as bootable devices. Now you can still install other OS thats seperate from UEFI and Legacy as long as the Format of your installation is the same or compatible. Example you can install unbuntu (True story) on legacy and access your windows installations like your precious pics videos or whatever as long as ubuntu was able to read NTFS and the file type(JPG,JPEG ETC{JPG seems to be a standard picture format}) but windows can read EXT(FS) so you wont be able to read a ubuntu partition in windows 'm explaining this as if you have some knowledge in computers BTW...

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation