Re: Windows 8 for Tablet tc4200 (1096 Views)
Occasional Contributor
mufc
Message 1 of 9 (2,486 Views)

Windows 8 for Tablet tc4200

Hi Ho Support,

Can you advice whether the tablet tc4200 support for windows 8? i have tablet tc4200 and i plan to migrate the OS to windows 8.

Hope to hear from you soon

Best Regards

Nasir

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 2 of 9 (2,473 Views)

Re: Windows 8 for Tablet tc4200

Hi, Nasir:

Please see HP's position on upgrading PC's to windows 8.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/windows-8-offer/about-upgrading.html

I can tell you the graphics probably won't work. With Intel video you need a minimum of the Intel 945 chipset to run Vista or W7/W8

Paul

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Shane Rehm
Message 3 of 9 (2,472 Views)

Hi Nasir,

I have an old tc4200 myself I've been trying to put Windows 8 on. I created a bootable USB drive and successfully installed it on a desktop computer, but I can't seem to get my tc4200 to boot to it. I did see this on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-TC4200-Windows-8-Pro-Tablet-/230872006405?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item35c10...

So it seems it can be done. I'll let you know if I find out any more.

Shane

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 4 of 9 (2,470 Views)

Hi, Shane:

It is possible that the TC 4200 may only boot from an external DVD drive.  I don't have one so I don't know.

I also don't know how they can be selling those PC's on eBay with W8, as the video may not work right (unless W8 provided a driver for the GMA 900 video).

Your PC cannot run all the graphics features in Vista or W7.

Aero has been removed from W8, so that may be the difference.

If you do install W8 on your PC and you can't change the video resolution, please post back and I will provide the link to a driver and instructions to install that works on W7. The driver worked fine except there was no Aero as the GMA 900 cannot support Aero.

Paul

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
mufc
Message 5 of 9 (2,458 Views)

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply  :)

Regards

Nasir

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
mufc
Message 6 of 9 (2,457 Views)

Hi Shane,

Please tell me once you able to get it work for tablet tc4200

Thanks

Regards

Nasir,

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Bill_VT
Message 7 of 9 (1,340 Views)

I was successful on installing Win8 on a tc4200. It boot and I installed the alternative startup menu (can't stand the metro interface -- but then I am not a smart phone user either). I downloaded the drivers from HP for the tablet. Some of them did not install properly. I also had some problems with the pen for Acrobat graphics issues. I had to reinstall, and now can't get the wireless to work. It would be nice if it did work.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
SteelRattus
Message 8 of 9 (1,099 Views)

It does work, even with 8.1. There are some devices it cannot find drivers for e.g. Mass storage controller, video, but these don't seem to be showstoppers as far as function goes (aside from the tablet inevitably being slow). Win 8.1 has a memory footprint of around 300MB. I'm not sure if the RAM on these could be upgraded? It looks like there's a RAM slot below.

The pen also works, with the RMB on the pen working as well.

I tested a few, as these were essentially for the scrapheap. One had a faulty tablet, so the pen driver wouldn't start. The second had a faulty screen when rotated. The third works fine though.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 9 of 9 (1,096 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi:

See if you can get the Vista graphics driver installed manually.

Download and run the vista driver at the link below. You will probably get an unsupported operating system error.

Close out of any error windows.  Go to the device manager, click to expand the graphics adapters category. Click on the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Click on the driver tab, click on Update Driver. Select the Browse my computer for driver software method and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran the file.

That folder will be located in C:\SWSetup\sp34749. Make sure the Include subfolders box is checked and see if the driver installs that way.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=457949&spf...

I would try the Vista mass storage controller (card reader driver from the nc6400).

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=1847704&sp...

You can install 2 x 1 GB of PC2-4200 memory.  There is a chip under the keyboard as well.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation