How To recover Product Key of Windows 8 (696 Views)
Visitor
alenjoy333
Message 1 of 4 (696 Views)

How To recover Product Key of Windows 8

I've a HP Pavilion 15 n007AX Laptop  and recently I formatted my hdd and accidently deleted my recovery drive also . my question is how can I obtain the product key of my pre installed  windows 8 . I read in the net that windows 8 laptops are OEM activated so they need no product keys for future installation so if I install  windows 8 from another windows 8 disk is it still activated by my  old product key

Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 2 of 4 (667 Views)

Re: How To recover Product Key of Windows 8

Hi:

The only way the product key which is encrypted in the notebook's BIOS will work is if you use an OEM W8 installation media.

Try this which should work for you to reinstall W8...

The W8 product key encrypted in the PCs BIOS should automatically populate the installation and activate.

Link to the W8 x64 ISO OEM file...

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0W9PBigPy94aVJWSndyTFNFMzg/edit?pli=1

After you download the file, use this tool to make the file bootable onto a 4 GB USB flash drive or a DVD.

The tool works for W8 too.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

LWD
Collector
LWD
Message 3 of 4 (603 Views)

Thank you Paul, this just saved me hours and hours and in the end probably money.

Downloaded, installed and running again, rule of thumb i guess is with Windows 8 always create recovery disks!!

Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 4 of 4 (600 Views)

You're very welcome.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.