Documents.library-ms is no longer working in Windows 8 (29462 Views)
Occasional Visitor
rahccim
Message 1 of 18 (29,462 Views)

Documents.library-ms is no longer working in Windows 8

I have no clue as to why this problem started but I will bet it also goes hand in hand with the continued lack of "administrator rights" for the only computer user when I originally set up the computer.  I have a home network and not sure if that caused my "user rights" not to exist.  Now I have this new problem.  Any help on either issue.  I have tried researching and don't want to make things worse.  Anyone else have the new problem with "Documents.library-ms is no longer working in Windows 8" and still have lack of administrator privileges for their only user.....

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
Mister_Do
Message 2 of 18 (29,181 Views)

Re: Documents.library-ms is no longer working in Windows 8

Hi rahccim,

Are you by chance using the Windows 8 Consumer Preview rather than the Windows 8 official release?

When researching your issue, I found this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_cp-performance/error-documentslibrary-ms-is...

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Collector
jgtytyjgy
Message 3 of 18 (28,426 Views)

I am using HP Windows 8 computer and Surface Pro Windows 8. Everything works fine since yesterday my explorer document, music, pictures and video libraries no longer work and displays with "Documents.library-ms is no longer working in Windows 8" error and This library can be safely deleted from your computer. Folders that have been included will not be affected.

Finally I try the method http://www.surfacetablethelp.com/2013/02/fix-documents-library-ms-is-no-longer-working-in-surface-pr...and solve the problem. Hope it works for you.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
sarahjames1962
Message 4 of 18 (27,524 Views)

It happened to me.  I think I hit something with some keys and it happed, like a shortcut of some sort caused it.  I need help too!!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
doxiekids
Message 5 of 18 (27,453 Views)

I have just found this problem and not sure where it comes from.  It is suggested that I delete the folders affected but am fearful of doing that.  This is a new computer with Windows 8 that replaces a computer that died and I am just beginning to get the files reconstructed and not willing to just delete.  Help.

j

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
doxiekids
Message 6 of 18 (27,449 Views)

After further research on this site I found an answer that did work. Unfortunately I didn't record the writer's name. It did involve deleting the folders and after each delete restoring to default folders and the content reappears.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Afnan3480
Message 7 of 18 (25,571 Views)

Oddly enough, it seems to fix this problem you need to delete the misbehaving library first.  Deleting a library does not delete the content of the folder.  To fix this problem, open Windows Explorer, right-click on the corresponding library and choose Delete. Click Yes when asked for confirmation.

Then, in the navigation pane of Windows Explorer, right-click on Libraries and click Restore default libraries.  This recreates the library that you just deleted.

SOURCES: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/documentslibrary-ms-is-n...

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
RochelleCA
Message 8 of 18 (24,037 Views)

THANK YOU!!!   This worked perfectly and only took seconds.  Like a prior post, I was hesitant to just delete without direction/more info.  Very simply fix.  Very relieved. ;)

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
mmonwuba
Message 9 of 18 (22,717 Views)

perfect solution. delete the affected library and recreate it by right clicking on library and clicking restore default library.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
ReelsMalloy
Message 10 of 18 (22,660 Views)

Thank you! A really quick & easy fix (literally seconds), which saved me $50! You folks are the best!

Please use plain text.
Established Member
JLimon
Message 11 of 18 (21,028 Views)

Worked like a charm. Thanks
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Gettin_along
Message 12 of 18 (17,289 Views)

I just tried this solution and it worked. It takes a small leap of faith to delete the libray but then the restore worked OK. But why did this happen?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
skivvie
Message 13 of 18 (14,390 Views)

Followed your lead worked perfectly THANKS

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
louluvenit
Message 14 of 18 (14,199 Views)

Same problem with music library however continuously became corrupt even after delete and restore library. Lost over 6000 hrs of music
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
susieqp37
Message 15 of 18 (11,211 Views)

thanks so much!  i was pretty upset when i could not get into my folders and thought it was lost.  this was a very simple fix.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
pineydad
Message 16 of 18 (9,371 Views)

Help! How do you fix the problem.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
newbiee
Message 17 of 18 (8,172 Views)

If this just started after 10-10-13 approx thats because its hidden in winows 8.1 to find i again simply open Explorer.exe (search for it in start screen) then right click This PC and you should be able to enable the view of libraries!!!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
RajunCajun
Message 18 of 18 (4,662 Views)

I just did a refresh on a Windows 8 laptop and encountered the library issue.. Quick Goole search landed me here.. This was an easy fix. Thanks for the tip. It is continuing to help folks..

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation