4540s MBR to GPT and using the full UEFI installation of windows 8 (6568 Views)
Advisor
newbiee
Message 1 of 2 (6,568 Views)

4540s MBR to GPT and using the full UEFI installation of windows 8

I want to have more partitions and possibly dual boot and definitely use FULL UEFI for windows 8 without the CSM my friend told me that EVEN HP RECCOMMEND YOU USE FULL UEFI but theres a main issue (two really) first i got a MBR :( and two the licensed windows 8 only install via legacy or UEFI(with CSM) im not sure if the installation via CSM matters as much as the GPT does Please need help and alil step by step since i wanna be a IT professional (A+ cert. in training :D) so it will also be a lesson to me thanks in advance!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
newbiee
Message 2 of 2 (6,546 Views)

Re: 4540s MBR to GPT and using the full UEFI installation of windows 8

Self implemented solution:

NOTE:MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AN INSTALLATION DISC AND BACKUP UNLESS YOU KNOW HOW TO CONVERT WITHOUT DATA BEING WIPED!!!

1. Get PartedMagic(a linux based partition manager)Link below

http://sourceforge.net/projects/partedmagic/<<this is free and easy to use(desktop simular to windows' GUI) REQ. a disc or bootable usb (which you can create!)

2. Back up Data or copy the stuff thats essential to you(Copying the important data works faster for me than waiting for the slow windows back-up although windows back up is more secure)

3. Make a bootable disc/flashdrive with Partedmagic Burned/bootable on the desired media(whether you chose CD/DVD/USB)

4. Restart your computer(if your using windows 7 just restart normally! However on windows 8 you shoud use advance start up in the PC settings{in windows 8 mode you know the full screen that does not include the start bar AKA taskbar}its under General I believe... and set for start using either Disc, "Boot from DVD/CD" option it has the symbol of a disc on it!)

5. Now press ESC when prompted and press the key in the corresponing option "Select boot device"<your option maybe alil different maybe it says "boot options" or "boot menu" the key is you want to select the boot device to boot from/to

6. wait for parted magic to boot to the main screen i advise you to check your hard drives health currently even though my lappy is new the hard drive is Pre-failing!!!(but thats upto you...)

7. Goto Partition editor (its one of the icons on the mainscreen/desktop)

8. select your harddrive< you can identify  your hard drive by the amount of storage space!

9. format your harddriveto use GPT now ALL partitions are going to be erased EVEN THE HP ONES theres documentation on hp on how to set those up again! (There are altenatives to setting to GPT without wiping your data But those are complicated so i didn't do it that way but parted magic Using commandline has this ability theres a certain command as you would imagine IDK it google it!)

10. Restart your computer and reinstall windows! MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AN INSTALLATION DISC UNLESS YOU KNOW HOW TO CONVERT WITHOUT DATA BEING WIPED!!!

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation