nw8440 with Windows 7 (403 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Klokk
Message 1 of 6 (403 Views)
Accepted Solution

nw8440 with Windows 7

I upgraded my nw8440 to Windows 7 about a year ago.  Recently would shut down frequently with no error message when I was using Windows 7 or when I tried to boot in Safe Mode.  I ultimately determined that it shut down when running Windows 7 because it was overheating as described in another forum.  Cleaning the fan and applying new paste between the heat sink and fan fixed this problem.

However, if I press F8 during the boot process and select Safe Mode the computer still shuts down after about 10 minutes.  If I start Windows 7 and boot in Safe Mode from Control Panel I can stay in Safe Mode indefinitely.  This problem also occurs with many of the HP diagnostic programs.  Windows 7 functions flawlessly.

I suspect the problem is that HP did not develop a bios for Windows 7.  I plan to reinstall Windows XP Professional which was installed when I bought the computer.  I tried installing Windows XP Home Premium from a CD we used for another computer.  The installation stopped before it finished.  Now Windows 7 does not boot correctly.  I evidently will have to reformat the hard drive to remove Windows 7 before I can load another operating system.  Any othe suggestions?

Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 2 of 6 (393 Views)

Re: nw8440 with Windows 7

Hi:

XP needs the SATA AHCI drivers either loaded at the F6 prompt you get at the beginning of the installation routine by using a USB floppy disk drive, or slipstreamed into a copy of your disk.

That is why it blue screens when you get to the "Setup is starting Windows" message.

Here is a link to the drivers you need to put on a floppy disk drive or slipstream. First download listed is for 32 bit.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18668&keyword=F6&lang=eng

If you have a usb floppy drive and want to use that method, you need to use the Up/Dn arrow keys to scroll to and select the exact driver for your PC's HDD controller which is the Intel(R) ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller.

You must use a floppy drive for this method. No other media will work such as a CD or USB flash drive.

To slipstream the drivers please read the info at the link below and read the intel section. Then use the method in the document you will be linked to and install ALL of the SATA AHCI drivers.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-e-g-Windows-8-and-Software/SATA-drivers-for-...

Paul

Occasional Advisor
Klokk
Message 3 of 6 (375 Views)

I downloaded and installed CPU-Z.  The chipset of my nw8440 is i945PM, and the type is 82801GHM (ICH7-MAJ.  This is not one of the chipsets recognized on the CPU-Z website.  However, HP has SATA drivers for the nw8440 with XP operating system available on their business support website.  I will install those drivers and see it that allows me to install XP.

Occasional Advisor
Klokk
Message 4 of 6 (341 Views)

I followed your procedure and installed XP the first try.

I had an interesting experience before installing XP.  One reason I could not install  XP was that the computer would shut down before the installation completed, or any other Bios function for that matter.  However, W7 did not shut down once I got it launched after cleaning the fan.

With the help of Best Buy I got enough of W7 removed so that the Bios couldn't find it.  Then I reinstalled the Bios.  In the office the Bios would launch, about one minute later the fan would start, and after another minute the computer would  shut down.  I took the computer to the garage which was about 40 degrees F.  The times were then 5 minutes and 2+ hours.  The 2+ hours may have been a timeout.

Today the temperature in the garage was about 30 degrees F.  I started the computer the Bios programs to check the memory, check the hard drive, and clean the hard drive without any shut down.  I then installed XP using your procedure.  Tomorrow I will start the computer in the office at about 70 degrees F, and see if XP has a problem.

I now have XP installed and know that I have a heat problem.  Thanks for your help.

Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 5 of 6 (333 Views)

You're very welcome.

It would be interesting to know what the heat issue is.

I wonder if the fan vents are clogged with dust, or the heat sink contact points need a new application of thermal paste.

Occasional Advisor
Klokk
Message 6 of 6 (332 Views)

I removed the fan, cleaned it, and applied new paste.  This solved the problem of Windows 7 shutting down, but the problem persists with the Bios.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.