Re: Windows 7 64 bit Universal Printer Driver issues (7125 Views)
Occasional Advisor
sc123
Message 1 of 10 (12,225 Views)

Windows 7 64 bit Universal Printer Driver issues

I have a few networks with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit (x64) workstations.  These machines are part of Windows Server 2003 domains.  The servers are 32 bit.

I have been going through a nightmare for months trying to get the printer drivers to work reliably with HP LaserJet 4050, LJ4250 and P4515 printers.  None of them work reliably - even with the latest version of the PCL 6 Universal Driver released on 11/22/10.  The printers worked fine in their previous 32 bit Windows XP environment, and print normally from the 32 bit server - which is how I know it's just a 64 bit Windows 7 driver issue.

I contacted HP several months ago and was told that HP was aware of the unreliability of the existing Universal drivers and that the current Universal driver was just a stop-gap for these printers until dedicated drivers could be released for each model.  This still hasn't happened, and the November version of the Universal drivers only seems to have somewhat improved printing reliability rather than resolve the issues altogether.

Here are some of the errors my client is receiving when they attempt to print using these printers and drivers:

Word cannot print.

There is no printer installed.

Current printer is unavailable. 

Select another printer.

Rebooting will sometimes resolve the error, but sometimes it won't - and it always occurs again, eventually.

Prior to these errors, the printers wouldn't install via the network on the Windows 7 machines.  I finally figured out that you have to install the Windows 7 driver to the Windows 2003 server via Print Management on the Windows 7 workstation, and that you must have the same driver name for x32 and x64 installed on the server for it to work on x64 workstations.  The printers install now, but are unreliable.  Anyone else experiencing this or found a solution?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Hash
Message 2 of 10 (12,219 Views)

Re: Windows 7 64 bit Universal Printer Driver issues

[ Edited ]

We have just started experiencing the same problem.  We have 4 HP printers here, an ancient but still reliable LaserJet 4L, a color LaserJet 2600n, a Business InkJet 2550, and a Business InkJet F4280.  The old Compaq Deskpro that sat here for years worked fine with all 4 printers.  One local (4L) and the rest on the network.

Now we have a brand new HP Pavilion 6110t sitting here, with a Win 7 64-bit OS, and it won't even print to its own local printer, the LaserJet 4L!

I have run through the HP self diagnostics, replaced drivers, checked out the Print Spooler Services, and everything else that HP wants done, and nothing works.

I can't even get the HP Web-based diagnostic to recognize the printer or that it is connected to this PC!

While we have nearly always recommended HP brand desktops and laptops to our clients, and we use them ourselves - with a few exceptions - we have never run into this kind of problem before.

If anybody comes up with an answer, please let me know.

Thank you very much,

-a.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
R. Wunder
Message 3 of 10 (12,212 Views)

One never knows what it will take to solve a deep problem like this but this is what I've found and maybe it'll work for you too.........I'm putting this to every HP forum I have been to, in the past two weeks, in hope that this will solve their situations........

To HP: I've been pestering your tech folks both on chat and on voice.....nobody seems to be able to find the solution to HP Solutions Center not detecting the device (officejet 6500 all in one) on 64 bit Win 7 when it did work on Vista.....the printer is installed and it prints and scans but I cannot use the OCR or any of the HP Solutions Center features because it does not detect the device.....I've been on every forum this side of China and tried every solution that exists.....regediting, uninstalling HP Sol Ctr and reinstalling it, stopping my anti-virus stuff, stopping my firewall, standing on my head....disconnecting the USB cord and making it a network printer with an ethernet cord.....you name it I did it.....it hurts when I'm in the business and cannot seem to solve this ....THEN....repeat THEN..one day, I cannot get my internet....I call support to refresh my modem and she asks nicely, "do you have a wireless router"....."uh-huh"....disconnect the power cord and count to ten and then reconnect it....okay.... but while I'm doing this, all of a sudden, I begin getting installation and config windows from HP.....I didn't do anything to initiate this....ah-hah I says, is this where the install was hung up for HP Sol Ctr? My internet comes back and I try HP Solutions Center and no more rejects about can't detect device....I now have HP Solutions Center and all is right with the world.......spread the word, we have another solution for this madness!!!......

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
sc123
Message 4 of 10 (12,165 Views)

Well that's not possible when Windows doesn't include a driver...

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 5 of 10 (12,146 Views)

Windows 7 does include drivers for most hp printers.  There is a trick you have to do which works most of the time and even though it is a pain it is a solution.  You load each printer on the windows 7 computer as though it is a local printer attached to lpt1.  No autodetect and no test pages.  When you get to the makers page click on windows update and wait for the screen to repopulate and then choose hp on the left and the model of you printer on the right.  I try to stay away from pcl6 drivers so if the pcl5 or ps driver is there that is what I would use.  When you are finished you then click on printers and devices and then right click on the printer icon for the printer you just loaded to lpt1.  Scroll down to the first properties (there are 2) and left click.  Now click on ports and then click on add port and then choose local port.  In the local port box that comes up just type in the computer and share name of the printer using the following systax:  \\computername\sharename  For example if the computer is shared on a server call server1 and has a share name of hplj then you would type in the box \\server\hplj and apply and save and the printer will now work just fine from the computer.

Please use plain text.
JFS
Occasional Visitor
JFS
Message 6 of 10 (11,621 Views)

Many thanks for that! It worked form me even though the local installation was autodetected.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
BeDo
Message 7 of 10 (11,207 Views)

So where would I find solutions center to download for WIndows 7,  and will it work for my All in one Officejet 6210,  do yo uthink?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
jrswanson
Message 8 of 10 (7,180 Views)

Nothing I do or Hp has helps reliability of this POS.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
StanleyChan992
Message 9 of 10 (7,125 Views)

Hi,

If hp has made a new windows 7 64 bit driver forLaserjet M1005? The driver that release in year 2009 do not work.

There is no reason hp do not provide a 64 driver.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
WINNT-MSCE
Message 10 of 10 (1,326 Views)

SOLVED - Reaching back to my old Windows NT days, we used to troubleshoot print driver issues by downgrading the driver and using the HP Laserjet III or laserjet 4 drivers under Windows NT and Windows 2000.

So along that same methodolgy....

Had a Ricoh Aficio 2228C - no longer supported with a valid driver, and an HP 4050n that we could not get any driver to work with from HP's download page.

For both printers,  we installed the devices as a local printer - using the local port option to the IP address of the printer. Then selected the nearest lower match from the INCLUDED WINDOWS 7 DRIVERS!

For the Ricoh 2228C, we selected the nearest lower match - the Ricoh C2000 PCL 5c driver and it works fine.

Fro the HP 4050n, we selected the Laserjet 3050 PCL5 driver and it works fine.

Note: Of course in both instances, you may run into a driver that shows the wrong trays , etc. and some advanced features may not work, of course. And by printing direct to IP, you lose any logging on the server of print jobs, but the local system logs will show these prints.

But it got us printing! Hope this helps! Forget about trying to get the exact driver and instead just get a driver that works!

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation