Undo shrink of C: drive in Disk Management (2045 Views)
Occasional Visitor
ProBookUser9
Message 1 of 2 (2,045 Views)

Undo shrink of C: drive in Disk Management

Hi,

I recently bought a new HP Probook 4530s LY470EA and I thought it would be a good idea to create a separate partition for data storage. So I went to Disk Management and I shrunk the C: drive by 120 GB, in order to free up space for a separate partition. I then selected New Simple Volume on the new unallocated space and followed the steps for naming and size, but at the last step I got the following message:

"The operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk to dynamic disk. If you convert the dsik to dynamic you will not be ble to start installed operating systems from any volume on the disk (except de current boot volume). Are you sure you want to continue?"

I clicked on the "No" button and the unallocated disk space remained as is.

As I do not want to go ahead with making this additional partition anymore, I would like to revert back to the original C: drive size, but I'm concerned that something will go wrong as I don't have experience with this.

Should I select "Extend Volume" on de C: partition? I would like to be sure that the boot partition can be set to its original size without being prompted to reformat otherwise I will not be able to start up Windows anymore. The Unallocated space is right next to my C: (refer to attachment).

Or should I restore the system to an earlier restore Point via System Restore?

Thanks in advance

Occasional Advisor
AirHPTech24
Message 2 of 2 (2,037 Views)

Re: Undo shrink of C: drive in Disk Management

Here is a few Fixes:

You can add more space to existing primary partitions and logical drives by extending them into adjacent unallocated space on the same disk. To extend a basic volume, it must be raw or formatted with the NTFS file system. You can extend a logical drive within contiguous free space in the extended partition that contains it. If you extend a logical drive beyond the free space available in the extended partition, the extended partition grows to contain the logical drive.

For logical drives, boot, or system volumes, you can extend the volume only into contiguous space and only if the disk can be upgraded to a dynamic disk. For other volumes, you can extend the volume into noncontiguous space, but you will be prompted to convert the disk to dynamic.

Try this also:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2670-partition-volume-extend.html

This provide screenshots and step by step instructions.

Using Disk Management

1. You will first need to delete the partition or volume that you want to extend into to make it a unallocated space.

2. Open the Control Panel (All Items view), and click on the Administrative Tools icon. then close the Control Panel window.

3. Click on Computer Management in Administrative Tools, then close the Administrative Tools window.

4. In the left pane under Storage, click on Disk Management. (See screenshot below)
Partition or Volume - Extend-extend_step1.jpg
5. In the middle pane, right click on the partition or volume to the left of the unallocated space that you want to extend into and click on Extend Volume. (See screenshot above)
NOTE: If the partition that you want to extend is to the right of the unallocated space, then you will need to use METHOD TWO below to extend it instead.

6. Click on the Nextbutton. (See screenshot below)
Partition or Volume - Extend-extend_step2.jpg
7. Type in how many MB (1 GB = 1024 MB) you want to use from the unallocated space to extend the selected partition (step 5) into, then click on the Next button. (See screenshot below)
NOTE: If you want to use all of the unallocated space to extend into, then type in the maximum available space shown for the unallocated space.
Partition or Volume - Extend-extend_step3.jpg
8. Click on the Finish button. (See screenshot below)
Partition or Volume - Extend-extend_step4.jpg
9.The partition or volume has now been extended into the assigned unallocted space (step 7). (See screenshot below)
Partition or Volume - Extend-extend_step5.jpg

10. Close the Computer Management window. (See screenshot above)

Try this:

link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771473.aspx

To extend a basic volume using the Windows interface
  1. In Disk Manager, right-click the basic volume you want to extend.

2. Click Extend Volume….

3. Follow the instructions on your screen.

To extend a basic volume using a command line
  1. Open a command prompt and type diskpart.

2. At the DISKPART prompt, type list volume. Make note of the basic volume you want to extend.

3. At the DISKPART prompt, type select volume <volumenumber>. This selects the basic volume volumenumber that you want to extend into contiguous, empty space on the same disk.

4. At the DISKPART prompt, type extend [size=<size>]. This extends the selected volume by size megabytes (MB).

Thanks

AirHPTech24

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.