LaserJet P2015 Window7 64bit (x86) Driver (41536 Views)
Occasional Visitor
miketx1
Message 1 of 15 (41,536 Views)
Accepted Solution

LaserJet P2015 Window7 64bit (x86) Driver

I have a P2015 that runs just great on Windows 7 (64bit). I want to share it ("sharing" in windows) with a XP 32 bit machine. I believe I need to have the x86 driver installed. Windows 7 gives me a box that I can check (x86) to enable that driver. However, when I do so, Windows 7 says it cannot find the driver - asks me for a location where it will find it. I've tried the CD that came with the printer, w/o result. Seems to be nothing on the website either.

Any ideas?
Occasional Visitor
MikeTz
Message 2 of 15 (41,536 Views)

Re: LaserJet P2015 Window7 64bit (x86) Driver

I have exactly the same problem. I believe that HP do not have a 32 bit driver for Win7 64bit available yet so it could be a case of waiting for them to write one - I could be wrong, may e there is one available.
Occasional Visitor
Paul Budzinsky
Message 3 of 15 (41,536 Views)

I have exactly the same problem with my HP LaserJet 1010.

I successfuly set it up on my Windows 7 (x64) as HP LaserJet 1010 HB. And tried to add latest x86 drivers downloaded from hp.com. I finaly managed to do this after modifying "hp1010h.inf" file. But I still can't print from Windows XP SP3 (x86), i.e. trying to print ends up with error.
Is there any way to share printer between Windows 7 (x64) and Windows XP (x86)???
Occasional Visitor
Terrence Burke
Message 4 of 15 (41,536 Views)

I have exactly same problem with same LaserJet P2015 printer. Windows 7 says it cannot find the driver ect ect.

Another forum (link below) suggested editing the driver inf file to ensure that the name of the printer in the inf file was spelled exactly as described by Win 7. I downloaded the HP driver for XP but have been unable to locate the *.inf file to try editing it.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread/930c4774-98e5-4253-8b47-d8c...
Occasional Visitor
TR4A
Message 5 of 15 (41,536 Views)

Same thing. Have a W7 64-bit with the P2015d. Trying to set up a W7 32-bit laptop but says it can't find the drivers. It won't install the universal driver either. Another 64-bit W7 laptop works okay.
Occasional Visitor
Julián Martín
Message 6 of 15 (41,536 Views)

Hi all,

I had the same problem as miketx1: I wanted to share the P2015dn connected in a Win7 64bits PC with a laptop running Win XP Pro SP3 32bits.

I finally managed to made it work.
In order to do that, you must use the "HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL6" for Windows XP. Look for it in the downloads page of the printer.
You must also know the network route to your shared printer. For example, mine was \\Dragon\HP Laserjet PCL6.

Despite of trying to open the shared printer, or to add it as a printer connected to another Computer, do the following steps:

1. Install the downloaded universal print driver. It will show the dialog for installing a new printer.
2. Begin the printer installation.
3. Select "Local printer". Leave the "Plug and play" box unchecked.
4. Select the option "create new port". In the scroll down menu select "Local Port"
5. In the new window which appears (named "Port Name") put the network route of the printer. In my case, \\Dragon\HP Laserjet PCL6.
6. If the route was correct, then it will ask you for the drivers. Clic on "use disk" and browse to the folder in which the Universal PCL6 driver has unzipped. Select OK
7. Continue and clic Finish.
8. Wait for a while (3 or 4 minutes) while the printer is installed.

If all went fine, you must have a new printer in the Printer and Faxes control panel. In my case was named "HP Universal Printing PCL6 (v5.0)". It has all the properties of the P2015dn printer and it works fine.

P.d. My windows XP is in spanis, and I'm somewhat translating the names of the dialogues and windows. I also apologize for the misspellings.

Occasional Visitor
miketx1
Message 7 of 15 (41,536 Views)

Amazing! It worked! I thought I had tried everything (even this or something similar). Apparently not. Can't thank you enough!

Thanks Julián!

Mike
Occasional Visitor
Julián Martín
Message 8 of 15 (41,536 Views)

I'm glad it worked for you too. I know how frustrating is to spend hours trying to get the hardware working in this situation (+2 hours of grunts yesterday).

I was worried it worked by a fluke. Hope it works for the rest.
Occasional Visitor
fadi shadid
Message 9 of 15 (41,536 Views)

the new port idea worked great for me also for win7. it also had the printer listed and no need to manually select the driver.
thank you for sharing
Occasional Visitor
Sokolik Sergey
Message 10 of 15 (41,535 Views)

i am download universal & standard 64-bit Drivers Packages. LaserJet 2015 installed on WinXPSP3-32bit. win2008 64bit server connected through VPN to local network. all my tryings to installed this Drivers is failed. windows 2008 didn't find driver on this places (unzipped packages from HP site)
i cant add this driver any way.
haw possible to do?
Occasional Visitor
Rod Ladwig
Message 11 of 15 (40,276 Views)

I have tried for 4 days to get a similiar problem sorted out.  HP support  just keeps passing you on to the next person.  You then have to start explaining the problem :smileysad:all over again.  So much for HP support.

I cannot believe that no one in HP knows what to do.

Here is one answer from HP. 

"Once the appropriate .inf file is selected, the 32-bit driver components will be installed within the 64-bit driver on the 64-bit server." taken from the information below.

The problem is no one in HP support can tell you which INF file to use.  The universal printer driver just adds to the confusion as it contains many INF files.

HP LaserJet, Color LaserJet and LaserJet MFP Products - Print driver Client / Server Connections in a mixed 32-bit and 64-bit environment

ISSUE: 32-bit clients are not able to connect to shared Universal Print drivers or discrete drivers on a 64-bit print server or vice-versa. These scenarios may involve Server 2003/Server 2008 64-bit print servers with Windows XP, Vista, 7 32-bit clients. It is also possible that the server editions could be 32-bit versions with 64-bit clients.
SOLUTION:
  1. The administrator will need to download the 64-bit AND 32-bt version of the print driver from www.hp.com . If the server involved is a 64-bit version, the 64-bit version of the print driver will need to be installed and mapped to the printer via TCP/IP. Ensure that the print driver has been shared on the network by going to the print driver properties and enabling Share this printer within the Sharing tab.

Ensure that communication has been established and that a driver test page can be printed from the 64-bit server. Once functionality has been confirmed from the 64-bit server, proceed to the next step.

2. Currently, 64-bit clients will be able to connect to the shared 64-bit print driver that has been installed on the 64-bit server as the architecture currently matches. However, if 32-bit clients wish to map to the shared 64-bit print driver on the 64-bit server, the 32-bit version of the same driver will need to be installed within the current 64-bit driver.

This process can be done by navigating to the printer properties of the 64-bit driver on the 64-bit server, clicking the Sharing tab and clicking the Additional Drivers button.
  3. Once the administrator clicks on the Additional Drivers button, the next screen will allow the administrator to load the 32-bit drivers by placing a checkmark in the x86 button and clicking the OK button.
  4. Once the administrator clicks the OK button, a print driver window will pop-up asking for the 32-bit driver components. Again, the administrator will need to download, and extract the 32-bit version of the print driver on the 64-bit server. Once the window below comes up, the administrator will need to navigate to the 32-bit driver components and select the appropriate driver .inf file.

For example, the UPD .inf file would be the first file in the list and be named hpcuXXXc.inf.

Once the appropriate .inf file is selected, the 32-bit driver components will be installed within the 64-bit driver on the 64-bit server. This can be verified as both x86 (32-Bit) and x64 (64-Bit) boxes will now be checked and show the status as installed by clicking the Additional Drivers button compared to the screenshot in Step 3 above.

5. Now that 64-Bit and 32-Bit drivers have been loaded onto the 64-Bit server, 32-Bit and 64-Bit clients can now navigate to the shared print driver on the 64-Bit server, by manually navigating to the shared print driver on the 64-Bit server from the client machine. Typically the path is \\servername\sharedprintername.

6. Once the client maps to the shared print driver, printing should work successfully.

For problems or errors that continue to occur after completing the aforementioned process, ensure that the latest version of the print drivers are being used www.hp.com . If there are problems with older discrete drivers, it is recommended to use the latest version of the Universal Print Driver which can be found at www.hp.com/go/upd .

Please note that all documentation provided in this e-mail is copyrighted material of HP. It is provided solely to complement our service efforts and provide further information for your reference. The documentation is provided "as is" without any warranties or representations of any kind. In particular, HP does not warrant that the materials are accurate, complete and up-to-date, and HP specifically disclaims all other warranties and conditions, in fact or in law, express or implied, including the warranties and conditions of merchantable quality, merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement of intellectual property of others.

Occasional Visitor
BobNash
Message 12 of 15 (40,192 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you.  The 208 page document from HP was driving me crazy.  My Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit PCs are now happy.,

I used:11-24-2009 04:56 AM, Julian Hall:

1  Install the downloaded universal print driver. It will show the dialog for installing a new printer.
2. Begin the printer installation.
3. Select "Local printer". Leave the "Plug and play" box unchecked.
4. Select the option "create new port". In the scroll down menu select "Local Port"
5. In the new window which appears (named "Port Name") put the network route of the printer. In my case, \\Dragon\HP Laserjet PCL6.
6. If the route was correct, then it will ask you for the drivers. Clic on "use disk" and browse to the folder in which the Universal PCL6 driver has unzipped. Select OK
7. Continue and clic Finish.
8. Wait for a while (3 or 4 minutes) while the printer is installed.

Occasional Visitor
Keith Page Canada
Message 13 of 15 (37,842 Views)

If you have a windows 7 machine, 64bit. And you want to add the 32bit drivers so you don't have to manually go around and install the pinter on all stations, b/c you want to list it in the directory or something you need to fix the name inconsistency between the Windows 7 64 bit driver and the Windows xp/vista/2003 32bit driver.

In the 32 bit driver the printer is listed with a differnet name with different spacing.

• All windows 32 bit, sans 7 : HP LaserJet P2015 Series PCL 6
  • Windows 7 64 bit               : HP LaserJet P2015 PCL6

Opening up the hppcp604.inf file in the extract folder and searching and replacing the entiries so they match the winodws 7 name will allow you to check off x86 in the additional drivers button under the share tab. Mine complained that the driver was unsigned, i guess there is some md5 check against the file but i told it to continue and it took it anyway.

Occasional Visitor
tbgb50
Message 14 of 15 (37,134 Views)

A million thanks. After 5 hours of frustration, this worked like a charm!!! HP should be ashamed.

Occasional Visitor
Magfelix
Message 15 of 15 (35,752 Views)

Cojonudo Julian, no sé como se te ocurrió,pero brillante. Felicidades!!

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.