Hp Wireless Assistant causing high CPU consuption of WmiPrvSE.exe (8189 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Miroslaw Malinowski
Message 1 of 29 (8,189 Views)

Hp Wireless Assistant causing high CPU consuption of WmiPrvSE.exe

I have Windows 7 Professional running on HP Mini 5102 with all the latest HP published drivers/patches. Problem is with high CPU consumption while system should be idle. After some investigations I found that this is WmiPrvSE.exe (WMI Provider Host) process consuming constantly 70~80% of CPU. Via process dependencies I nailed issue down to HP Wireless Assistant causing the problem. When this service is stopped, CPU is at the level of ~5%. When started jumps to ~90~100%. Is there anything that can be done to stop this? Or is there any alternative to HP Wireless Assistant to control (switch on/off), check status) of WLAN, BT, WWAN/GPS modules?
Advisor
Jeremy Taylor_2
Message 2 of 29 (8,189 Views)

Re: Hp Wireless Assistant causing high CPU consuption of WmiPrvSE.exe

Hi there,

I've got exactly the same problem, and have been constantly on the phone to HP to try and come up with a fix for the past 5 weeks.

Even a clean install of Win7 with only the wireless driver and the HP Wireless Assistant 4.0.2.4 displays the problem.

The support people at HP I've spoken to have had trouble replicating the issue, so I guess a solution might not be imminent.

I'd recommend sending the machine back for a refund, as I will.

cheers,

Jeremy

Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 3 of 29 (8,189 Views)

Why not just uninstall the HP wireless assistant and use the native Windows 7 wireless application to manage your wireless connections?

You don't need the HP wireless assistant software unless there is some specific reason I don't know about that you do.

The wireless driver is independent of the wireless assistant software.

I run all my hp laptops, desktops on Win 7, or XP using the OS-included wireless manager. They work fine.
Advisor
Jeremy Taylor_2
Message 4 of 29 (8,189 Views)

Paul,

The HP Wireless Assistant controls the power to the Bluetooth, Wifi, and 3G Modems.

I'm not aware of any way to control the power to the radios other than using the Wireless Assistant. Do you?
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 5 of 29 (8,201 Views)

Well, on my nc6400, I had it and it is a handy tool but you can turn the devices on and off individually in the control panel>device mananger of W7. At least that is what I did afterward. It was a handy tool but not necessary for those to work. Just a few more mouse clicks. Now, as to the 3G card...I don't have one in my machine so I can't say for sure but I would think that could be turned on or off (disabled) in W7 in ecactly the same way. Just right click and hit disable and when you want to enable, just right click and hit enable.
You can do this until HP fixes the wireless assistant problem with your laptop. I had not problems with it in mine. I just don't like unnecessary software and it took longer for the wireless card to connect to my router using the wireless assistant.

Since I rarely if ever used the blutooth, I just leave it on and set not to let my pc be discovered. Or I have just disabled/enabled it in the control panel, device manager like I stated above.

Without the wireless assistant all your devices will be defaulted to on.

Paul
Advisor
Jeremy Taylor_2
Message 6 of 29 (8,201 Views)

Disabling in Device Manager DOES NOT power off a device.
Occasional Visitor
Miroslaw Malinowski
Message 7 of 29 (8,201 Views)

I tried few more things yesterday evening; I checked few different versions of Wireless Assistant and WLAN drivers, but no change. I tried to use Windows Mobility center, but seems that to able to control WLAN,WWAN and BT from there Wireless Assistant must be installed and service must be started. So for now it seems that the only solution is to switch all devices on, disable Wireless Assistant service and use hardware button to switch all devices on or off together.... at least until some other fix is found.
Advisor
Jeremy Taylor_2
Message 8 of 29 (8,201 Views)

On speaking to HP today (it's a daily event... wake up, eat breakfast, call HP. hehe) they were really confident that installing 4.0.3.2 of the HP Wireless Assistant would fix the issue. Same result.

I have also tried every version of the wireless drivers and Wireless Assistant I can find. Same result as you.

It's pretty frustrating. I've had this machine for 5 weeks and haven't been able to use it because of the short battery life and poor performance of a machine that is near 100% cpu most of the time when idle.

We've been talking about it (with little progress) on another thread here:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1414336

So far, there doesn't seem to be many people having this problem. There's three of us here, and one on another forum in German. I'm quite surprised that there aren't more people screaming. Maybe a lot of people downgraded to XP? Or maybe most people don't realise something's wrong.
Visitor
robert de wit
Message 9 of 29 (8,201 Views)

Same here (Netherlands). Running Win 7 Starter on HP Mini 5102. Have now disabled HP Wireless Assistant. Still waiting for a Internetonly SIMcard from KPN as we are going to use the Mini mainly with this, so Wifi is not that important for us. However still a disappointment that HP hasnot solved this problem yet
Occasional Visitor
Morten Grande
Message 10 of 29 (8,201 Views)

I have the same problem with my HP Mini 5102. Annoying!
Visitor
robert de wit
Message 11 of 29 (7,653 Views)

Update. Have received and inserted KPN Sim.
Had to enabled/start both HP Wireless Assisent program and service to enable the WWAN modem after which the SIM card was recognized. After that I disabled HP Wireless Assistent again and had no problems anymore
Occasional Visitor
Mika Valtonen-André
Message 12 of 29 (7,653 Views)

I have the same problem with my HP Mini 5102
//Mika
Advisor
Jeremy Taylor_2
Message 13 of 29 (7,653 Views)

I returned my (2nd) Mini 5102 for a refund a few days ago, and have now purchased another laptop .

Tomorrow will be exactly 2 months since I got my first Mini 5102, and made my first call to HP support with this issue. There's nothing to suggest that this issue has been escalated beyond Level 2 support in all that time.

Frequent Visitor
Johan Torssell
Message 14 of 29 (7,653 Views)

I have the same problem on my HP Mini 5102 running Windows 7 Professional.
WMI Provider Host (WmiPrvSE.exe) consumes all available CPU cycles, turn off HP Wireless Assistant Service (HPWA_Service.exe) and CPU load goes avway, turn it back on and the CPU load is back. Got HP Wireless Asisstant version 4.0.4.2 installed.
Occasional Advisor
Arif Ahmed
Message 15 of 29 (7,653 Views)

Frequent Visitor
Johan Torssell
Message 16 of 29 (7,653 Views)

I have that version installed, please se my previous post, and it does not fix the issue. Monitoring the mentioned processes shows continous high CPU consumption with occational drops.
Occasional Visitor
Mario Tuta
Message 17 of 29 (7,653 Views)

I have exactly the same problem with my HP Mini 5102 which was delivered today. The bug is really annoying because the cooling system is very loud. Actually I am thinking about sending mine back if there is no update soon!
Occasional Visitor
Manuel Mallo
Message 18 of 29 (7,653 Views)

Same problem with a 5102 bought 3 days ago. As all of you, I have tried with the newest drivers, and still the same. I am HP user for almost 28 years and really don`t understand how is it possible such things to happen. Worst of all, I don`t understand why such a long time to fix this annoying issue.
Occasional Visitor
Claudius Jacoby
Message 19 of 29 (7,653 Views)

Same problem here. The 4.0.4.2 Update didn't solve the problem.
Occasional Visitor
henrik.skagerlind
Message 20 of 29 (7,653 Views)

Update to you all!
After having the same problem I had conversation back and forth with HP here in Norway which ended up with them sending my 5102 to Taiwan. Just got an e-mail today saying that "...The CPU high utilization issue has been resolved by latest HPWA v4.0.6.0..."
=> Haven't got my machine back yet so I can't verify, but it seems there is a new version of HPWA on the way that will correct the problem. Fix is still not available on for download though.
Occasional Visitor
Solvik BLUM
Message 21 of 29 (7,981 Views)

Any updates ?

Visitor
sevec
Message 22 of 29 (7,876 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have exactly the same problem (HP 8440p). WMIPrvSE.EXE consumes ~25% CPU continuously being forced to it by HPWA_Main.EXE or HPWA_Service.EXE.

I've installed the latest version of HP Wireless Assistant, namely 4.0.7.0. Nothing.

I would like to say this: sometimes mistakes happen. Ok. BUT: It takes simply extremely LONG to solve this issue! It has been known for months and still NOTHING happens. Where are all HP technicians?

It's not only annoying that all these HP utilities take too much memory, don't honour Windows scheme (I use classic one), overload system tray with dozen of icons, etc etc - but they simply DO NOT WORK.

I am looking at Task manager...  utility HP Wireless assistant does is it allows to turn on/turn off 3 devices, wireless, bluetooth and 3g. One can expect several tenths/hundreds lines of code, lightweight application... without those shadows, fonts, effects etc. Reality is that it consumes 33 Megs (main app)+11 Megs (service) of memory!

I do not know any other notebook manufacturer which fills the computer with so many useless utilities and nothing-but-memory(and now even CPU!!)-consuming programs....

Occasional Visitor
pcharouz
Message 23 of 29 (7,871 Views)

same problem here on a 2740p tablet

VidyaVI
Message 24 of 29 (7,765 Views)

Hi All,

Thanks for your participation in Forums.

Issue can be resolved by installing the latest driver for HP Wireless Assistant with the version v 4.0.6.0 or latest , However in order to receive the driver you may call HP.

Thanks.

Regards,
Vidya
Forums Moderator
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 25 of 29 (7,758 Views)

[ Edited ]

Here is the link to the driver page for HP Wireless Assistant, version v 4.0.6.0.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=ob-829...

Just click on the "Obtain Software" link on the lower left after all the listed operating systems.

Here is the link to the driver page for HP Wireless Assistant, version v 4.0.7.0:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=ob-839...

I hope that fixes all your issues!

Paul

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.