HP Deskjet 1280 driver for Windows 7? (16589 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Leonardo Dias
Message 1 of 10 (16,589 Views)

HP Deskjet 1280 driver for Windows 7?

I own a HP Deskjet 1280 printer (A4 and A3 paper sizes) which worked fine with my old laptop based on Win XP. Now I bought the new HP Pavilion dv8 with Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bits) and unfortunately I've seen that there isn't any driver to make this specific model of printer compatible with Win 7. My question is: will there ever be one? Can I patiently wait for this driver or is my HP deskjet 1280 now totally obsolete?
Occasional Visitor
Adriano Freitas
Message 2 of 10 (16,589 Views)

Re: HP Deskjet 1280 driver for Windows 7?

Hello Leonardo Dias,

I own too a HP Deskjet 1280 printer and in the HP Support & Downloads it says to use the Windows Update to get the driver for the printer but that information is wrong as Windows Update can't find the driver.

HP doesn't give a shit for it's users.

The solution is to add the driver for the HP Deskjet 1220C as LPT1 and after that change the port for USB. And that will make the printer work!

Adriano Lopes
http://www.superdicas.net
Occasional Visitor
Leonardo Dias
Message 3 of 10 (16,589 Views)

Thanks a lot for the reply!
I tried to look for the driver of the hp deskjet 1220c, but HP also says that this model of printer doesn´t have a driver for Windows 7 (64 bit) yet...
Which driver should I download? I mean: for which specific OS?
Could you explain me the steps to do what you're saying, if that isn´t much trouble?
Obrigado Adriano!
Occasional Visitor
Adriano Freitas
Message 4 of 10 (16,589 Views)

Olá Leonardo Dias,

You don't need to download any driver. I tested this solution in Windows Vista (x86 and x64) and in Windows 7 (x64) too.

Do the following:
1. Go to Devices and printers on the Start Menu
2. Click in the button Add printer (in the tool bar)
3. Click on Add Local Printer, in the new window.
4. Use the settings: "Use an existing port: LPT1: (Printer Port)". And click on the Next button.
5. Choose the Manufacter: HP and printer: HP Deskjet 1220C. After that click on Next.
6. Now that you have the printer added, go to the Devices and Printers window, that you opened in the 1. and click with the right button in the printer that've added and click on Printer Properties.
7. Go to the Ports tab.
8. Select the port USB001 and click OK.
9. Now you can use the printer!!

Espero que esta dica tenha ajudado a adicionar a impressora.

Cumprimentos,
Adriano Lopes
http://www.superdicas.net - dicas Windows XP/Vista/7
Occasional Visitor
Leonardo Dias
Message 5 of 10 (16,589 Views)

Thanks a lot! It really worked! Thanks for the tutorial. I just had to press the Windows Update button because the HP deskjet 1220c wasn´t showing up on the list.

P.S. Aproveitei e dei uma vista de olhos ao seu site. Pareceu-me muito útil e já o adicionei aos favoritos.
Occasional Visitor
Elaine Libutaque
Message 6 of 10 (16,589 Views)

Didn't work for me. I can only use the printer for Microsoft based programs. I mainly use programs by Autodesk and Adobe. The printer is next to useless to me now. And this printer is was bought only last year.
Occasional Visitor
Adriano Freitas
Message 7 of 10 (16,589 Views)

Dear Elaine,

Try to follow the steps that i mention in the video available here:

http://blip.tv/file/3122979

With this method i was able to use the printer with AutoCad and Adobe PDF Reader with no problems.

Regards,
Adriano
Occasional Visitor
ismail abu shemala
Message 8 of 10 (16,589 Views)

hi
it seems like asolution that had worked for you but my situation is a bit diffrent
1- my printer in on network.
2-after adding the 1220C there is no USB option in the porths tap.

my 1280 had been working with the all applications and it was on USB allready but AutoCAD was never able to print on it.
i would appriciate any help.
Occasional Visitor
Leonardo Dias
Message 9 of 10 (16,589 Views)

Have you EVER installed (or tried to install) a printer via USB on that specific machine? If you've never done it, that's probably the reason why the "USB port" option doesn´t show up in the ports list...

Try to install the printer (or any other printer) by plugging the USB cable first. The installation will fail (as we all know it). But the USB port option will now appear always in the list, I think. (At least, that worked for a friend of mine);)
Occasional Visitor
olddenfred
Message 10 of 10 (2,408 Views)

Brilliant. Good job somebody can answer these important problems

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.