HP Compaq 2230s - ( Windows 7 ) issues with sluggish keyboard & touchpad (982 Views)
Collector
Biomech_
Message 1 of 7 (982 Views)

HP Compaq 2230s - ( Windows 7 ) issues with sluggish keyboard & touchpad

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

Hoping you can help with a strange issue - I've just upgraded the OS on my brothers HP Compaq 2230s to Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit (was Vista) Install went fine, however after the upgrade the built in keyboard and touchpad have become sluggish and slow - the movement of the mouse cursor is jerky and sometimes almost completely unresponsive. Trying to type on the keyboard results in having to hold each key down for at least a second to get it to register, however if I pug in a USB mouse and (or) a keyboard everything works fine!

The Touch-sensitive keystrip has also stopped functioning. I have downloaded and installed all of the drivers (including BIOS update) on the HP site for the laptop and Windows 7 Home Premium OS 32bit and still no luck with the keyboard, touchpad or Touch-Sensitive keystrip (so of course I can't turn the wireless receiver on either..bad design btw!)

Specs are: (pretty sure it's all standard)

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5670 @ 1.80GHz

2GB Ram

32 Bit OS (Windows Home Premium)

Currently networked with (CAT5 cable)

ESET NOD 32 Antivirus and Mozilla Firefox are the only programs i've installed so far.

I've tried reinstalling drivers / uninstalling hardware / manual driver updates / downgrading to Windows XP (same issues still happening) gave up and reinstalled windows 7 again

Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated..I'm stumped! 

Thanks in advance...

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
Chhaya_Z
Message 2 of 7 (955 Views)

Re: HP Compaq 2230s - ( Windows 7 ) issues with sluggish keyboard & touchpad

Hi,

Can you check the mouse pointer speed settings in the control panel?

Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> Mouse -> Pointer Options tab -- 'Select a pointer speed'

Try increasing the speed (slider to the right).

Similarly there is a key repeat rate

Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items ->Keyboard -- 'repeat delay' and 'Repeat rate'

Make the repeat delay short and releat rate fast.

Regards,
Chhaya

I am an HP employee.
Was this post useful? - You may click the KUDOS! star to say thank you.
Please use plain text.
Collector
Biomech_
Message 3 of 7 (945 Views)

Hey thanks for the reply and advice, should have mentioned I've tried that already, makes no difference to the keyboard or mouse (the mouse cursor just jumps around a lot more if the repeat delay / repeat rate setting are altered as suggested) - still has me puzzled as to why everything works fine with a USB keyboard and mouse.

Appreciate the help regardless...

Cheers!

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 4 of 7 (939 Views)

Hi:

If you have not done so already, install the chipset driver and reboot.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20018&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%...

Did you install the HP Quick Launch Buttons software/driver package for the unresponsive buttons?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

Also, you can install the latest touchpad drivers from the Synaptics website:

http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers

Paul

Please use plain text.
Collector
Biomech_
Message 5 of 7 (930 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Paul,

Cheers for the reply, followed your links (thanks very much for providing them) - unfortunately even after all of that I still have the same issues with the keyboard mouse and sensitive-touch strip. Wondering if there is something more sinister going on..might have to bite the bullet and send it away to a tech for inspection (though i'm not sure what else can be done)

Again thanks for the help anyway!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
RameshL
Message 6 of 7 (919 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi.. Is this issue only with Windows (XP or 7)?
Can you try booting up from a Live CD (either Ubuntu or Fedora or some linux flavour) and check if the same issue exists?

Please use plain text.
Collector
Biomech_
Message 7 of 7 (901 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Ramesh,

Thanks for the advice.

Got a hold of Fedora... man i can't catch a break with this thing! First I tried the copy of Fedora on my Dell laptop (also running Windows 7 Home Premium) to make sure it boots ok and it worked no dramas. The little HP compaq 2230s ... it just freezes and won't get past the HP boot screen! After a minute or so the lights on the HDD and DVD drive start to flash in unison..totally bizarre! End result is having to hold the power button for 5+ seconds to shut it down.

So i can't even test your suggestion...

Appreciate the help anyway!

I'm off to buy a can of petrol and a lighter!

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation