HP Color Laserjet 2600N - Windows 7 network driver (32369 Views)
Occasional Contributor
no4018
Message 1 of 22 (32,369 Views)

HP Color Laserjet 2600N - Windows 7 network driver

The current driver for HP CLJ 2600N for Win7 x64 is not good enough!
The driver only supports USB and not a network installation. This is very unpracticle. The printer was sold as a network printer, and the driver is not finished befoe a network driver is supplied. What is HPs plan for this? ETA?
Occasional Visitor
Tore Hagen
Message 2 of 22 (32,369 Views)

Re: HP Color Laserjet 2600N - Windows 7 network driver

Having the same problem. Why are there no answer from HP?
Occasional Visitor
Mr_Armageddon
Message 3 of 22 (32,369 Views)

Glad to see I'm not the only one having this problem. I bought this printer for its network capabilities, and now is is useless since HP has yet to release the network driver.

This is unacceptable. It is a fairly new printer that can still be found on the shelves at Best Buy and Office Depot. Windows 7 beta and RC1 were out for almost a year. Why is it taking so long to develop a network driver? If one isn't out soon I am going to have to buy a competitors product as the 2600n is pretty much a big paper weight for me and others in my office who rely on a network printer.
Occasional Visitor
bob bell
Message 4 of 22 (32,369 Views)

I downloaded the 2605n driver and my networked 2600n works just fine with my new win 7 machine
Advisor
r patt
Message 5 of 22 (32,369 Views)

bob bel
what did you do to get yours to work?
Occasional Visitor
Titus Sim
Message 6 of 22 (32,369 Views)

I downloaded and ran the "Plug and Play Package" Driver (though did not complete the installation, as the printer is not on USB port but on the network - Vista machine) found on this page: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=ca&prodNameId=446154&p...

Subsequently my laptop was able to "find" the printer and it seems to work fine now.

This was after I tried windows updates of the printer drivers, HP Color LaserJet 2600n was NOT in the populated list.
Occasional Visitor
Bjarke Søndergaard
Message 7 of 22 (32,369 Views)

As Titus Sim said.

I tried installing the Windows 7 x64 driver package from hp's download site. And was frustrated that it only supported USB plugged printers and not a network printer, so started looking everywhere, with no luck of course.

After reading this, I tried to cancel my current installation and cancelled the Windows "Add printer" function. I redid the "Add printer", chose Network Printer, I picked the found HP CLJ 2600N and it just installed the printer.

Might not be the best solution, but it works
Occasional Visitor
yabozak yabozak
Message 8 of 22 (32,369 Views)

Thank you Bjarke,

This tip worked like a charm. I downloaded and installed the Vista 64 bit driver. Used windows add printer on network and it installed without having to use USB connection.
Occasional Contributor
no4018
Message 9 of 22 (32,369 Views)

Why is HP ignoring this?
A lot of old printers are all supported in Win7, but not the relatively modern 2600N?
I am certain of one thing - my next printer will not be HP!
Occasional Visitor
Eric Osterberg
Message 10 of 22 (32,369 Views)

I have Windows 7 32 bit and my HP 2600n is connected to a Linksys router - IP address 192.168.1.101. Even though I got an error installing the driver, I specified the IP address when adding the printer and it works. A week or two ago HP updated the printer driver and did not get any errors.
Occasional Visitor
Ty Edgerly
Message 11 of 22 (29,405 Views)

This is typical HP. This is is a 2600n (n for network) printer. I installed Windows 7 today, THREE MONTHS AFTER ITS LAUNCH, and the drivers they have only accept USB? Why did I buy a Network printer?
Occasional Visitor
J James
Message 12 of 22 (29,405 Views)

Hi all,

just found this thread and seeing as no one from HP has replied I thought this might help.

I too was having problems installing the HP2600n on windows 7, as the only driver i could find was the USB version which as you all know is not why we all purchased a network printer. I eventually tried the Vista Network driver which worked fine. I'm using windows 7 32bit so not sure if the 64bit version will work.

Anyway Hope this helps you all.
Occasional Visitor
Pete Peterson
Message 13 of 22 (29,405 Views)

Here is the method I used to solve the problem:
Download the Windows 7 64bit plug-n-play driver & install it using a USB cable. Once it is installed, remove the USB cable and reattach the network cable. Then hit the Add Printer button in the Win 7 Devices & Printers file and select Network Printer. The system should list the 2600n which is then selected. You need to know & input the IP address for your printer (print the config report from the printer's control panel) & select TCP/IP in the Add Printer dialogue box. Windows indicated that it installed the printer using the HP 2600n driver. A click of the Print a Test Page box on the last page of the Add Printer dialogue box showed that the printer was working over the network. Windows listed the network printer as HP2600n (Copy 1) which I changed to ...(Networked). Once the networked printer is confirmed as working, delete the PNP printer.
Occasional Visitor
Farrel Buchinsky
Message 14 of 22 (29,405 Views)

I also discovered that half way through the installation I had to cancel it since it insisted that I connect my printer to the computer's USB port. I then went back to "add a printer" and I specified that it was a local printer and specified the ip address of my printer. At that point my computer found the correct driver and installed everything. I do not know what I did. The computer found everything. Something obviously got installed before the plug-and-play setup got derailed.
Occasional Visitor
Bradley Farrar
Message 15 of 22 (29,405 Views)

Make sure that you have the updated firmware and driver. I had problems networking the printer, but once I updated the firmware and driver, I was able to seamlessly network the printer.
Occasional Visitor
gj42
Message 16 of 22 (29,405 Views)

I feel like kicking myself for not thinking of this sooner. I found a simple solution to this problem just after writing a somewhat less than pleasant email to HP Support.

I had already installed this as a network printer months before by the way. Here's how I got it to work: Right click the printer and open it's properties. Choose the ports tab and scroll down to the TCP/IP section. I knew my printer's address was 192.168.1.101 but found the one that was selected by the installtion was 192.168.1.101_2 for some dumb reason. I simply checked off the correct one and now it works.

I've spent more than a few hours googling to find other people's suggestions. It amazes me that no one else has tried this.
erb
Occasional Visitor
erb
Message 17 of 22 (29,283 Views)

One caveat: you must set the printer for manual IP addressing - if automatic (DHCP, etc) you will get a new address the next time you cycle power, and Win 7 will be looking for the old IP!

(Haven't tried the Vista driver yet to see if the same applies).

Occasional Visitor
jdmutual
Message 18 of 22 (28,669 Views)

This did the trick for me... Tried the install, cancelled the HP program.... Exited everything and then added the network printer using the IP Address and it automatically loaded the 2600 driver and works great... Thanks for the tips
Occasional Visitor
Storkraft
Message 19 of 22 (28,381 Views)

ok i have just reinstalled win 7. ultimate 64 bit.

so how do i get it to work with usb. `?

after a couple of days looking at several pages and googleing it i find no solution.

even after finaly finding some drivers. (wery hard to find i think )

and i have tryed to install it offcouse but when installing it just continues but thats it.

nothing happens. i have tryed different drivers nothing have worked.

and yes i wil sertainly never get np again.  but sadly this is the one i had hoped should be my last printer

so i paid abit extra.   and got this p.o.s.   when it works its good but getting it to do so is a nightmare

and it apears theres no help from np.  no new drivers that fix it all. 

Occasional Visitor
joheben
Message 20 of 22 (27,546 Views)

Arrgh! After wasting more than one hour trying to install then reading through variuos suggestions I finally managed to get it installed for W7P 64-bit.

Like others have commented here, the trick is to download and start the HP installation wizard, but cancel when it insists you should connect a USB cable, and finally GOING BACK to the Win 7 Add Printer routine and install it as a Network printer (specifying the manually set IP address of the printer).

**bleep** HP for not releasing a driver that installs reasonably! Next time, buy some other brand!

Occasional Visitor
stivan
Message 21 of 22 (23,921 Views)

hi guys, after finally register on this forum (which is a pain in the @/%#$) im posting my first and maybe last comment for all of you having problems installing this printer over a network.

1. download and install winrar

2. download the driver package (according to your Operating System) - Plug and Play Driver.

3. Right - click the .exe file you just downloaded and select EXTRACT TO (folder to extract the files to)

4. go to PRINTERS and FAXES

5. ADD NEW PRINTER

6. ATTACHED TO THIS COMPUTER

7. CREATE TCP/IP port

8. Type in the IP Address of your printer

9. select HAVE DISK

10. Browse for the FOLDER you just EXTRACTED in step 3

11. CLICK ok, next, whatever until the end.

And thats it! thanks HP for making it so easy to install this printer over a network!

Occasional Visitor
reyTP1914
Message 22 of 22 (22,882 Views)

I just bought a new PC. How cant I get my HP Color LaserJet 2600n to print NY Times articles and games? i.e.

crossword puzzles, sudoku etc.

I bought this printer at Fry's Electronicson on  Sept. 30, 2006. S/N CNGC68Z1Nb  

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.