HDX18-1010EA wont boot (635 Views)
Advisor
satkitten
Message 1 of 7 (635 Views)

HDX18-1010EA wont boot

after running windows 7 fine for 3 weeks i decided to do a clean install....but after the first run of installing and copying files to the hard drive...after the notebook restarted it get stuck on the bios screen with the message at the bottom...press the ESC key to start setup...but nothing happens when i press the key. i do notice a couple of harddrive activity flashes on the light..but it always get stuck there...any ideas please
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 2 of 7 (635 Views)

Re: HDX18-1010EA wont boot

If you know who made the HD I would download and run there Diagnostics and make sure that the HD hasn't died. Isn't this a relatively new machine is it still under warrenty?
Advisor
satkitten
Message 3 of 7 (635 Views)

thanks Ron, yep still under warranty....
seems to be stuck at the bios screen, keyboard works (caps lock light comes on and off) but takes about 20 secs before keyboard keypresses respond with a beep. so i know the esc and f10 key works!...just it wont do anything else...dont know if the bios has corrupted somehow?? anyway...will ring the suppliers on monday to pick up for repair. :) must be something simple....i thought even if the HD boot sector had corrupted i could have gotten into bios to change boot order and used the second drive...oh well..
Advisor
satkitten
Message 4 of 7 (635 Views)

actually, on the way home i remembered that when i deleted the 2 previous partitions, and then using the new button to recreate just 1 250gb partition

windows 7 reserved 100mb for system use and made it active, so when i used the rest of the Harddrive for my windows 7 partition i also made it active.

i think this may be the problem. Should i just have made my partition primary and left the windows 7 system 100mb hidden partition as the active partition?

just wondering how i can now reformat the drive, as i just cant get past the HP invent logo on the bios screen and cant even enter bios, let alone boot up!
Advisor
satkitten
Message 5 of 7 (635 Views)

update....i have taken out the master drive..and now can use the pc..i have successfully installed windows 7 to the secondary drive but the system still sees it as the secondary drive and not a master. I HAVE to have the windows 7 dvd in the drive to boot up into windows 7 (reads the dvd, dont press a key then boots from the hdd).

putting the original master into the second bay hangs the system again. currently trying to find how to make master and slaves of these drive...then perhaps i can reformat the trouble master drive..which i think has two active partitions..the 100mb windows 7 system and the windows 7 partition - i made the windows 7 active instead of primary as the system hidden 100mb is the active)
Advisor
satkitten
Message 6 of 7 (635 Views)

update....progress is made!

I took out the master drive (in slot 1)
and pc booted fine, and could now access and reset BIOS.

I put the second drive from slot 0 into the master slot and then managed to boot from windows 7 DVD and quick format and install windows 7, no problems.

But...the pc will not boot from that slave drive! it is detected as a secondary drive and not the primary. so need a bootable DVD/Cd to actually get up and running (just dont press a key when asked to press a key to boot from dvd)

now...i took out the secondary drive from bay 1 and put it back into bay 2 and the pc will now boot into windows normally.

So...im still kinda stuck on how to set a drive as master/slave? the two drives that came with my HDX18 are seagate momentus 5400.4 250gb ST9250827AS but only 232Gb actually available. does hp tattoo their drives as master and slave?? just need help with that now as i will put in a new drive 250gb 7200rpm as the master,
Advisor
satkitten
Message 7 of 7 (635 Views)

Final update...took my wifes Maxtor 250gb portable apart.same drive in there!! anyway fitted my original master drive into the connectors..plugged into the base unit as a usb drive....the system partition was the active one!! i made the primary partition active and wallah....can now use the HDX18 as normal again...thanks peeps not sure how i did it originally but. solved now

this thread now closed...
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.