GPU for HP Compaq DC7800 small form factor (847 Views)
Occasional Advisor
mwaseema
Message 1 of 2 (847 Views)

GPU for HP Compaq DC7800 small form factor

I am using windows 7 pro on HP compaq dc7800 small form factor PC. It is working just fine but graphics are little bit weak because it has no GPU. According to its manual small form factor only supports low profile GPUs and NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS (256 MB DH) PCIex1 Graphics Card is recomended one. They recomended this card for windows Vista but will this work on Windows 7 or 8.

Can you recommend some other Graphic card which can play atleast GTA 4. I want 3d graphics in windows 7, should support directX 10 or directX 11, can play gta 4 and try to give suggestions for cheaps ones.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 2 of 2 (816 Views)

Re: GPU for HP Compaq DC7800 small form factor

[ Edited ]

Hi:

You can use the nVidia GT 610 card in your model.  I have no idea what games it will play.  All I know is it is W7 and direct x 11 capable.

Read the reviews of the card on the link below that I posted.

Peak power usage is less than 30 Watts.

You need a model that comes with the low profile brackets like this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130815

Because this model video card has an HDMI out port, if you buy one and install it, the BIOS will disable the onboard audio because of the HDMI audio chip on the video card.

So, all you have to do is after you install the drivers for the video card, reboot and then go into the BIOS.

In the advanced menu, device confiurations setting, there will now be an Onboard Audio setting.

It will be on Disabled.  Change the setting to Enabled.

Save the setting there by hitting the F10 key and again when you exit (save settings and exit).

When you reboot, you will have your onboard audio back.

Another model to consider would be the Radeon HD 6450.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127584

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation