Built-in Color Laserjet 2500 PCL 5 Driver in Windows 7 does not support color? (8363 Views)
Occasional Visitor
JC Macalino
Message 1 of 13 (8,363 Views)

Built-in Color Laserjet 2500 PCL 5 Driver in Windows 7 does not support color?

Hello, all.

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, and love it so far. However I've come across a peculiar problem. The OS loads the driver for my Laserjet 2500L quickly and successfully, but the driver itself won't support color printing??? In fact, if you right-click on the printer properties, under the General tab, you will in fact see under Features, it states:

Color: No
Double-sided: Yes
Staple: No
Speed: 8ppm
Max resolution: 600 dpi

I thought it was actually kind of funny that right above the "Color: No" the Model number correctly identifies it as a "Color Laserjet". I checked out all the other tabs, and there is no indication of color printing options! I've also scoured these forums and the internet in general for a solution, but with no luck.

Do any of you know of a solution? I fiddled with installing the HP universal print driver for 64-bit systems, but couldn't get it to recognize my printer. So now I'm at a loss :-( Your help is so greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Occasional Visitor
Lee Shelford
Message 2 of 13 (8,363 Views)

Re: Built-in Color Laserjet 2500 PCL 5 Driver in Windows 7 does not support color?

Hi,

There is no Win7 Driver as yet, it only points you to the universal driver.

I had the same problem, in the end i used the Vista x64 PCL 6 driver and that works fine and in colour.

Lee.
Occasional Visitor
JC Macalino
Message 3 of 13 (8,363 Views)

Re: Built-in Color Laserjet 2500 PCL 5 Driver in Windows 7 does not support color?

Thanks for sharing your experience, Lee. I'm glad you had better luck with the Vista x64 driver. I tried that as well, and it didn't work for me. With HP customer support basically telling me, "Sorry, you're on your own", I jumped ship and purchased a Brother HL-3040CN, which is a terrific printer that can do 2400DPI. (Cost the same as 3 new 2500L toner cartridges, so it wasn't a total loss).

I have to admit, the 2500L has treated me well over the years, so I have no gripes about it specifically. I just feel HP let me down in this one instance. I'm glad to hear the Vista drivers are working for you.

Cheers.
Occasional Visitor
David Motovidlak
Message 4 of 13 (8,363 Views)

I used the "HP Color LaserJet Family Driver PCL5 (61.53.25.9)" driver and got color to come out -- at least on a Windows test page. I believe I had chosen to view the driver updates from Windows Update while selecting the driver, so I'm not sure if that's required or if the drivers are already local. Give it a shot.

Good luck.
Occasional Visitor
Bruce Minea
Message 5 of 13 (8,363 Views)

I found that the 2500c PCL5e drivers work fine and print in color even though it is a different model than the color laserjet 2500

Occasional Visitor
g fattorini
Message 6 of 13 (8,363 Views)

I have the same problem. HP suggests that you get a new printer. This is so wasteful and irresponsible in this current climate. I will get a new printer. It wont be HP alas.
Occasional Visitor
Janine Maclean
Message 7 of 13 (8,363 Views)

Hi - I'm having the same problem, but using Vista. Did you find a fix?
thanks
Janine
Occasional Visitor
JC Macalino
Message 8 of 13 (8,363 Views)

Hello everyone.

Thank you for your replies. A quick update -- I was never able to resolve the issue, although I am happy for those who seem to have circumvented the problem. I am tech savvy and went through a multitude of possible resolutions, on my own, and with HP tech support. The sad part is, it seems like HP's efforts to help me were very minimal. I'm a patient and understanding consumer, but I found their customer service, at least for this particular issue, to be quite lacking. I felt like their response was along the lines of, "Oh that problem... tough luck." Ouch. So I jumped ship.

I am now a happy Brother Laser HL-3040N owner that can print at 1200 DPI. Whoo hoo! But that's another story.

Best of luck to all!
Occasional Visitor
Matsil Milton
Message 9 of 13 (8,363 Views)

I have a 2500 printer and was advised to use the PostScript drivers. This enabled the printer to print in color.
Occasional Visitor
xtrinsomnia
Message 10 of 13 (8,146 Views)

I see color... Thanks Matsil... the PS drvier worked magic for me... my world is in color once again. THANKS!
Occasional Visitor
MustangTom
Message 11 of 13 (6,331 Views)

I have a Color LaserJet 2550n and am using the PS driver with Windows 7 64-bit.  It prints in color, but the Features still shows "Color: No" for the printer.  And whenever I print, it shows the print job in the lower right corner with a supplies status, but only shows the black toner.

How do we check the toner status with Windows 7?  The web page of the printer does not show supply status.  The older Windows XP drivers included a Tomcat-based application that showed the printer status with great detail.  But with Vista and Windows 7, that driver would not work.

Occasional Visitor
Matt368
Message 12 of 13 (4,325 Views)

downloaded Vista 2500 PS drivers and now the printer prints fine.

Visitor
Williampdd
Message 13 of 13 (2,227 Views)

** Fixed **

I got my problem solved by followed below article steps.
http://printer-driver-download.us/?s=hp+2500
Thanks

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.