WebInspect Licensing (834 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Jyoti_Acharya
Message 1 of 9 (834 Views)

WebInspect Licensing

I have a webInspect license. I am recently asked to carry out an assignment in a customer's network using customer's machine. For doing so, I will require to install WebInspect client in Customer's machine and insert my license during the assessment period. I need to know, if HP poses any restriction on using the license in a different machine especially in such a situation. A quicker response will be much appreciated.

Thanks

--Jyoti

Please use plain text.
Advisor
gromonster
Message 2 of 9 (817 Views)

Re: WebInspect Licensing

Hello Jyoti,

If you need to move your activation token from one machine to another temporarily, there is a simple way to do this without needing to call the support desk for assistance.

If you go into Edit > Application Settings > License on your local installation of WebInspect, in the lower right corner of the screen that pops up, you will see a 'Deactivate' button (see attached screenshot).  Clicking this button will deactivate your token from the HP license server, allowing you to activate the instance on another machine, in this case the customer's machine.  Once you are done using that machine, you can just deactivate the token there and reapply it to your local machine.

I hope this helps.

Rob

WebInspect License Deactivate

HP Fortify Software Professional Services
Application Security Center
WebInspect / AMP / QAInspect

“The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP".
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
HansEnders
Message 3 of 9 (804 Views)

There is no legal barrier to you shifting your license in the way Rob detailed.  The assumption is that you are able to retain/control your own license.  Most importantly, you must have permission to perform the scan on the selected target.  That's about it.

To return to your normal machine, you may want to review the Directories settings (Application Settings) to identify any artifacts you want to transfer back, such as Macros.  You can Export the scan(s) performed and then Import them to the other machine as well, and I recommend including the logs with that Export.

-- Habeas Data
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Robert Mach
Message 4 of 9 (768 Views)

Hello,

I am in a similar situation that I need to solve. I have licence installed on one server I need to move it to another while removing the instalation from current server. And later I will probably need to move it back again.

However I am not able to do it right now, because I am not allowed to do it. The button is not active now. 

webIns.png

Do I have to do something before it to enable this option? Or do I have to have someting special in a licence that will allow me to use this option.

I have currently HP testing licence, might that be some kind  of limitation for testing licence? Will I be able to do it if I buy full licence?

Than you.

Robert

Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
HansEnders
Message 5 of 9 (749 Views)

Robert;

If the Deactivate button is disabled, then you need to contact Customer Support and ask them to have that particular feature flag re-enabled in your Activation Token.  Normally this flag is never disabled, but I have seen mistakes occur when the licensing team creates them from time to time.

Fortify Support:  http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/WebInspect/How-to-contact-HP-ASC-Customer-Support/m-p/2394765#M141

-- Habeas Data
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
TFarley
Message 6 of 9 (412 Views)

Just as a follow up you must be online and in contact with HP servers via smartupdate for this to work correctly, any deactivation offline will lock up the entitlement. Then you must contact HP to "soft reset" the license.

Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
HansEnders
Message 7 of 9 (397 Views)

You are correct, if you have activated your machine Offline, then you will not be able to Deactivate from that position. You must either acquire an Internet connection in order to Self-Deactivate or contact Fortify Support to have them perform the Soft Deactivation on their end.

-- Habeas Data
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Deepak_Mishra
Message 8 of 9 (268 Views)

Webinspect license activation problem

Hi all,

I had HP webinspect license installed on one machine and due to some problem i had to format that machine. I forgot to deactivate the HP webinspect license. Now I am installing webinspect on same machien but license key is not working.

It gives error like "you have exeeded the installation limit of your license. License xxxx-xxxx-xxx-xxxx can not be retrieved.

Kindly help.

Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
HansEnders
Message 9 of 9 (232 Views)

Re: Webinspect license activation problem

Deepak_Mishra;

You caused this error by not Self Deactivating the product prior to the drive format. This is an understandable error and in some cases unavoidable due to OS or hardware problems. The fingerprint for your machine has "changed" with its reinstallation and so the WebInspect license is locked to the prior iteration of your machine and that older fingerprint.

Please contact the Fortify Support team (https://support.fortify.com), provide them with the Activation Token you are using, and ask that they perform a "Soft Deactivation" of that Token for you. Your license will be freed from the prior machine assignment and it will be ready for application on the new one.

-- Habeas Data
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation