Re: WebInspect Database Requirements (740 Views)
Occasional Advisor
ericst1
Message 1 of 5 (747 Views)
Accepted Solution

WebInspect Database Requirements

We want to have a separate server for SQL Server 2008 database for the WebInspect. The user guides specify recommended specifications for WebInspect & LIM but there is no mention of requirements for DB server.

What are the recommendations (like CPU, RAM size, Hard Disk size, etc.,) for DB server? What would be the approximate average size of a scan. I know it might be hard to provide an accurate answer but I would like to estimate the DB size based on scan size multiplied by average number of scans we perform in a year. Is there a better way to estimate how big of a disk I would need for the scans?

Thanks,

Eric

Valued Contributor
Sam_Shober
Message 2 of 5 (740 Views)

Re: WebInspect Database Requirements

Eric,

SQL server 2008 is definitely supported for WebInspect scan database. I copied and pasted in the supported databases section from a web page.

• Supported Database:
    • Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition 2005 SP3 (4 GB scan database limit)
    • Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition 2008 SP2 (4 GB scan database limit)
    • Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition 2008 R2 (10 GB scan database limit)
    • Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (No scan database limit) (Recommended)
    • Microsoft SQL Server 2008 SP2 (No scan database limit)
    • Microsoft SQL Server 2005 SP4 (No scan database limit)
    *Note: For large scans, or to permit sharing of scan data, use Microsoft SQL Server (full version). Microsoft SQL Server Express is not required when using Microsoft SQL Server.

Regarding DB server requirements those are not documented, but an expectation of reasonableness is assumed. You ought not to go with minimum SQL server Spec, but you don't need to build a massive cluster either. Likely whatever your companies default SQL server setup is will be sufficient.

Scans vary in size. We really haven't found a good away to determine what the average is. There are so many factors. I'll tell you that the absolute, far and away, heaviest user has 3/4 TB of scan data after several years of scanning often with multiple scanners. Most users have far less. WebInspect's free diskspace recommendations are 100 GB (10 GB min). I think that 100 GB free space recommendation should would be applicable for the SQL server as well. 

Hope that helps.

Occasional Advisor
ericst1
Message 3 of 5 (734 Views)

Thanks for the detailed information. That helps.

Do you happen to know if the License and Infrastructure Manager (LIM) can be installed on Win 2008 R2? The documentation states Win 2003/2008 Standard as the supported OS.
Valued Contributor
Sam_Shober
Message 4 of 5 (732 Views)

Yes Lim can be installed on server 2008 r2. Make sure you have the 64 bit install. Also make sure you install SQL compact edition before installing any other SQL server versions. LIM relies upon SQL CE and CE doesn't install if a "better" version of SQL server is present. to install CE 64 bit you need to install 32 bit CE first.

check https://download.hpsmartupdate.com/lim for more details, setup guides installs etc

Occasional Advisor
ericst1
Message 5 of 5 (727 Views)

Thanks a lot.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.