Re: User Volume Group Migration. (89 Views)
Frequent Advisor
harry_7
Message 1 of 3 (89 Views)
Accepted Solution

User Volume Group Migration.

Dear Gurus,

My one of the system is configured only in one volume set i.e MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET-0. I have more than 13 hard disk. It is including the OS disk's also. I dont know which one is the OS DISK. I wnat to do the OS disk seperate and User_data_voulme disk seperate.

My question is how to seperate the OS files and I want to copy only in the first 2 disk's only. Then how I can restore the user data to the new volume i.e. User_data_volume_set. Which option I have to choose during the build acct command.

With Regards

Harpreet Singh Chana
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
paul courry
Message 2 of 3 (89 Views)

Re: User Volume Group Migration.

My one of the system is configured only in one volume set i.e MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET-0. I have more than 13 hard disk. It is including the OS disk's also. I dont know which one is the OS DISK. I wnat to do the OS disk seperate and User_data_voulme disk seperate.

My question is how to seperate the OS files and I want to copy only in the first 2 disk's only. Then how I can restore the user data to the new volume i.e. User_data_volume_set. Which option I have to choose during the build acct command.

LDEV1 is your boot disk. The SYS account contains all files used by the OS. If you use SYSGEN, then IO, then LD 1 the SCSI address will appear in the printout. Then it is a simple matter of tracking down the SCSI address.

You will need to completely reload the system to seperate out the volumes. First you need to make 2 copies of the SLT, then run CHECKSLT to verify their integrity. Next You need to make two full system backups and check their integrity.

Next you need to reboot the box from tape using your SLT and INSTALL the OS. Be advised that anything above 4Gb is wasted on the boot drive due to OS limitations.

At this point you need to create the volume structure you wish, creating volumes and adding drives to each one.

Next you need to create the accounts and groups on each volume. You mentioned BULDACCT. You may use this if you wish.

Once this is done you may restore your data.

Be prepared for a LONG weekend. Write everything down and have someone check your plan.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Chuck Ciesinski
Message 3 of 3 (89 Views)

Re: User Volume Group Migration.

Harpeet,

Overall, I concurr with Paul's
description. Please allow me to add a couple of fine tuning
points.

A. Describe your volume sets logically, that is user data goes on private volumes, system tools go on the MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET.

B. Once you've defined the logical split, create jobs using BULACCT.PUB identifying
where the user data goes and keep the jobs in the SYS account before you do any stores.

run buldacct.pub;info="acct1,acct2,acct3,acct4,acct%vsacct=yourvolumenmame"

BULDACCT creates 2 jobs, BULDJOB1 and BULDJOB2. One to build directories and users. The second to build UDCS after files are restored.

Please also utilize the 3000-L
for assistance during the split.

Good Luck,

Chuck Ciesinsk
"Show me the $$$$$"
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation