Re: HP3000 979 & SYMMETRIX (332 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Brenda Rivera
Message 1 of 5 (332 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP3000 979 & SYMMETRIX

Is anyone using symmetrix & their hp3000. I would like to know how you set it up & how does it work. This is all new to me and they want to implement it here. thanks
Honored Contributor
Eric Sorensen_1
Message 2 of 5 (332 Views)

Re: HP3000 979 & SYMMETRIX

Hello Brenda,

The MPE system configuration is relatively simple: use the SYSGEN ID of SYMMETRIX for each logical unit number (LUN, or LDEV), and the path for that LUN.

The binding of the discs into LUNs is more complicated-- unless you can get details from other forum members, I'd suggest you ask EMC for help. HP no longer sells EMC arrays (replaced with the XP256/512-- see http://www.enterprisestorage.hp.com/products/disk_array/index.html for more information).
A problem well defined is half solved.
Honored Contributor
Chuck Ciesinski
Message 3 of 5 (332 Views)

Hi Brenda,
We have been using EMC products on our 3000's for almost 4 years. Only issue is getting data re-loaded from one disc type to another. Attached is a sample of how we
have configured our EMC disc. This disc is part of a 'RAID-S' configuration. It is currently in a '3700' frame. Please note that you will have to work closely with EMC
to assign the path numbers. Our preferrence was to have 8 discs per channel and use
0-6 , and 8 for the addresses.

Another good source of information is emc@interex.org, both HP and EMC engineers
monitor that list.

HTH,

Chuck

io> ld 30
LDEV: 30 DEVNAME: OUTDEV: 0 MODE:
ID: SYMMETRIX RSIZE: 128 DEVTYPE: DISC
PATH: 8/4/44.0.0 MPETYPE: 4 MPESUBTYPE: 2
CLASS: DISC SPOOL
"Show me the $$$$$"
Occasional Visitor
Lee Gunter
Message 4 of 5 (332 Views)

Configuration of the Symmetrix is very straightforward as has already been pointed out by others. We recently added 16-9 GB drives to our 3230 and had EMC configure them internally as 2-4.3GB LUN's, each, which gave us 16 additional 4.3 GB drives visible to the system. Ours is a RAID-1 configuration (mirrored), and the Symmetrix maintains the mirror - host software is not required. Within the 3230, we now have 56 mirrored pairs of 4.3 GB drives - about 240 GB of available space.

We also assign no more than 8 drives per FW-SCSI , and no two LUN's on any one physical drive will be addressed on the same I/O channel - for performance reasons.

One of the most attractive and useful features we've discovered is the "phone home" capability of the Symmetrix. If the on-board diagnostics detect a problem, the unit will dial up the EMC global response center and alert an engineer. If necessary, a local CE will be dispatched to attend to the issue. We've experienced two such events since 10/97, and we've not known a problem existed until the CE called to tell us he was on his way. No unplanned downtime as a result -- yet. :-)
Occasional Contributor
Brenda Rivera
Message 5 of 5 (332 Views)

Thank you all for responding! I am new to the Symmetrix enviroment so I may have more questions later!
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.