Completely removing data (67 Views)
Occasional Contributor
J Lewis
Message 1 of 6 (67 Views)

Completely removing data

We are getting rid of a 929 KS running MPE/iX 6.5 and I want to be sure to completely remove our data. What is the best way to go about it? We are selling the system and don't want any data to fall into enemy hands ;)

Thanks,

Jeff
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Gerhard Roets
Message 2 of 6 (67 Views)

Re: Completely removing data

Hi Jeff

You can use the initvol command in volutil. This will not totally remove all traces if your extremely paranoid about it. The definitife destruction way is to destroy the discs, but if your selling the machine its a ctach 22.

HP might have a tool with which to do this with the CE tools. I would say talk to your local CE and find out.

If you have a windows machine with a scsi controller you can get software that overwrites the discs with random numbers mutliple times. MPE should be able to reinstall onto those discs.

Look at http://sourceforge.net/projects/ubcd/

It has autocalve on it. Then you ca do it on an intel based machine.

Regards
Gerhard
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Gerhard Roets
Message 3 of 6 (67 Views)

Better URL for ultimate boot cd
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
Regards
Gerhard
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Kwan Fong, Emile
Message 4 of 6 (67 Views)

Hello Jeff,

If all your data files are residing on an user volume set, you simply need to close the volume set (VSCLOSE ), go into VOLUTIL, scratch each disc ldev (SCRATCHVOL ) and format each disc ldev (FORMATVOL ).

If the system does not have user volume set and all system and data files reside on the default system volume set, then:

1) Do an ISL>INSTALL, do a DSTAT ALL, check that all drives except ldev#1 are in UNKNOWN or SCRATCH state, run VOLUTIL, SCRATCHVOL those in LONER state.

2) Still in VOLUTIL, FORMATVOL each drive, this may take some time.

3) If you wish to 'ERASE' ldev#1, you must INSTALL to another drive, then boot on that drive, in order to access the old ldev#1.
King is the customer!
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Fred Metcalf
Message 5 of 6 (67 Views)

I would install from an SLT but only as far as making volutil available. Then use the volutil FORMATVOL command to format the other configured drives. About 2 hours per 18 BGB drive if I remember correctly.
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Gerhard Roets
Message 6 of 6 (67 Views)

Formatvol is the correct command :) ooopsie :P
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation